Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My G400 is driving me nuts...

Hi,

I've been having weird problems with my Matrox G400 32mb SH card... it seems to dislike any 3D game I try to play...
    And it also blesses me with random lockups acccompanied by extremely bizzare display (lines/flickering dots etc.)...
    I am using the latest Matrox display drivers and Matrox BIOS, I have recently flash upgraded my BIOS.
    Matrox is currently not sharing its IRQ with other devices, after I moved the SCSI scanner card from the PCI slot next to the matrox to another PCI slot, which assigned a new IRQ for the SCSI card. But the Matrox is still not behaving...

My system config is as follows:
    I have a P2/400 w/128 mb PC100 SDRAM, Intel SE440BX mobo (Phoenix BIOS), 2 Adaptec SCSI adaptors (AHA-2940UW and AVA-2902E), 9gb Seagate SCSI HD, 4.5gb IBM SCSI HD, 33.6k USR modem, 32x Plextor SCSI CDROM, 6x Teac CD-R, Umax SCSI scanner, Wacom Graphic Tablet (serial), PS/2 Logitech mouseman+, Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold.

I would appreciate any help on the subject, as it's really frustrating me...
    Thanks in advance...

You probably have some type of driver conflict. You can try removing all drivers for all video cards you have ever put in your machine and then reinstall. Or you can just wipe you Windows folder and do a fresh install. Just my $0.02

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Did you have a 3dfx card before the G400?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Yes, Cheggers, I had a Voodoo3k 2000 before the G400... but I can't remember if I reinstalled windoze after I changed the card or not... I went into safe mode and didn't see any old video drivers...
        do you think I should reinstall (for the 10000000th time?)

Comment

We seen several problems related to the Seattle motherboard (none related to overclocking for some reason ) and the G400. If you already haven't spent hours doing so, try reseating the board in the AGP slot, and make sure it's in there and properly situated.

Make sure your AGP aperture is set to 256.

The G400 likes IRQ 9 or above.

The Voodoo problem is related to a conflict with 3dfx drivers and TurboGL. If you think that's the problem, uninstall TurboGL and see what happens. Also, do a search in your Windows directory for 3dfx*.* (if memory serves me correctly). You might want to check your registry for old video board entries as well.

You could always try forcing AGP 1x if worse comes to worse. (Don't worry. It won't effect performance. We've gone through this a thousand times.)

I would try reseating the board first, making sure it's properly aligned and completely in the slot. There's something about the plates, many motherboards, and certain cases. I had one heck of a time getting my Max properly seated.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I had the same problems and after a few emails, the guys from Matrox themselves sent me a little tweak util.

I think it just sets AGP to 1X (not sure but don't ware).

So try the same, it helped for me!!!

------------------
            Aopen AX6BC bios 2.41 , celeron 416 mhz (default 333 mhz),
            AGP G400 DH 32 mb drivers 5.25 bios 1.04 , soundblaster Live ! player , realtek RTL8139[a], 2 * 64 mb 100 mhz ram, sampo 800SDT 19 inch
            Aopen AX6BC bios 2.47 , celeron 416 mhz (default 333 mhz),Quantum KX 13.5 gig 7200 rpm, Quantum EX 6.4 gig 5400 rpm, Matrox G400 DH 32 mb drivers 5.41 with turboGl drivers(latest) bios 1.04, soundblaster Live ! player, four point surround speakers, realtek RTL8139[a] 10/100 Mbit, 2 * 64 mb 100 mhz ram, cdrom Aopen 48x, sampo 800SDT 19 inch @ 1280*768, trust 14inch @800*600, cable modem (cool) and other stuff

Comment

Where can you get the tweak utility to change AGP to 1X ? Rob_b

------------------
              pentium II @300mhz
              intel 440lx pci chipset
              64mb memory, g400max,
              cybervision C70 monitor
              dual boot: win2000 from a maxtor 8.4 gb, win95 from a maxtor 4.3 gb
              pentium III @550mhz
              intel 440BX pci chipset
              512mb memory, g400max,
              cybervision C70 monitor
              win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

I had a voodoo1 card on before my G400.
                i dont think that i removed all the drivers before i put the G400 on, and i am still paying for it!

I have always found that if you are changing major pieces of h/w such as a graphics adapter, and you get problems, a reinstall should fix them and speed up your PC at the same time.
                Sort of spring cleaning!

i know it is a kind of kop out and a last resort, but it does work and your whole system will benefit for it.

sigh, i know what i will be doing this weekend!

good luck!

Patrick
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Rob_B, get the PD5 hacks .

It's in there

Jorden.

------------------
                  In need of a new sig...
                  ----------
                  "when all turns to dust,
                  we need a vaccuum-cleaner"
                  ----------
                  Holly, I love you.

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Come on jorden, that sig is making me throw up!

only kidding!

Comment

Jordâ„¢

Comment

this one better, Cheggers??

------------------
                        In need of a new sig...
                        ----------
                        "when all turns to dust,
                        we need a vaccuum-cleaner"
                        ----------
                        "If you feel like throwing up,
                        be sure to do it with the wind..."
                        ----------

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 16 December 1999).]
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well guys, I think I managed to solve the problem... after forcing AGP mode to 1x, I started testing the system (i.e. playing *LOL*) but the game crashed after a minute or so... then I opened up the case, pulled out the G400 and put it in the slot again - I'm sure it's situated better than it was before because so far I've had no problems *knock on wood*.

Thank you so much for all your help, you're the best!
                          Flow.

Comment

Working...
                          X