Simple question about dual head..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question about dual head..

Will it be possible in the future to switch between dual head and disabled dualhead without restarting your system? Maybe with new drivers or with W2k. Thanks

------------------
    Asus P2b(1010),P3 450,128 mb pc100,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

With Win98, this is an OS limitation - the OS queries the display driver about the number of available outputs only during the bootup sequence.

Win2k does not support multiple outputs as such - we actually "fake" multiple outputs to windows by reporting double-width or double-height resolution - which is not the best solution, but that's all we can do without OS support.

We are currently lobbying Microsoft to add multiple output support in the next point release of Win2k; obviously, it would be best if the output capability could be enabled/disabled without requiring a reboot.

Phoenix

Comment

When do you need to disable dualhead ? If it is to play an OpenGL game (Quake, Halflife), you just have to disable the secondary monitor in Windows display settings. This works without restarting.

edzel

Comment

I guess I figured I needed to disable it before playing any game that didn't use the dual head thinking that it would effect the performance of the game. Actually I don't play ANY open gl games, only drakan, nfshs,ww2 fighters, usaf ect.. So can I just leave it enabled and just turn that monitor off when i'm not using dualhead? Thanks for your response.

------------------
        Asus P2b(1010),P3 450,128 mb pc100,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98
        Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

Many games, D3D or otherwise, will refuse to play if DualHead is enabled, even if the 2nd head isn't being used. It's a major pain in the butt to have to reboot just because I move on to doing something else - it takes so long these days.

Tony.
          FT.

Comment

That's kinda what I figured, thanks everyone.Merry Christmas

[This message has been edited by Kookstick (edited 23 December 1999).]

Comment

Working...
            X