My Geforce DDR Experience.........and why G400 is better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Geforce DDR Experience.........and why G400 is better

Well, I happened to pass a cart at Best Buy with a nifty black box in it containing a Creative Labs Annihilator Pro for an open box price of $270....so.....i got it

Well, I played around with it for a while. I had a heck of a time getting it to work right until I got the latest 3.65 detanator drivers, then it worked ok. It didn't like my 124MHz FSB though, but it worked with it decently.

To say it quickly, this card is VERY FAST. It wasted all of my 3DMark 99 scores on my overclocked G400 Vanilla DH. 3DMark 2000 was spiffy too. So what, they are benchmarks.

Unreal Tournament ran great at 1142x864x32-bit, I averaged 40-45fps at all times. It did have some serious low end frame rates though, especially with high rez skins (the G400 does better with them.)

Quake 3 Demo ran awesome. I think this actually uses the T&L engine somewhat. It showed. 1152x864x32-bit high quality and it was smooooth, no signs of slowdown. I really don't play much Q3 though.....

Windows 2D had some odd pauses where G400 was smooth, it looked almost as good though. Videos (AVI's and MPEGS looked somewhat worse.) It scored significantly slower in Wintune 98 at 1152x864x32-bit than my G400 @ MAX speeds...something like 84 (similar to V3 and ATI Rage 128) versus my G400 which scored around 120.

Overall, I'd say I like the Geforce DDR, just not more than my G400 and here's why....

1) Visual Quality is somewhat better
    2) I got my G400 for over $150 less
    3) Not THAT much slower, perfectly adequate
    4) Windows 2D quality is lesser on Geforce
    5) Stability problems, UT crashed, probably my 124MHz FSB but my G400 has no troubles.
    6) Matrox drivers are about 20x more robust, for ex., the monitor tweaking
    7) This forum, I love having Matrox people around and being able to kill them in UT (I'm Heiney BTW)

There, first hand experience with NVidia's best. It's good but it's not the best thing since sliced bread, nor........the G400!

------------------
    ABIT BH6 rev 1.0, Pentium 2 SL2W8 300MHz -> 464MHz, 192MB SDRAM, Toshiba 6X DVD,
    Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 150/200, <b>Creative SBLive Value</b>, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
    Supermicro SC70 ATX 235watt PS,Panasonic Panasync S17
    Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 09:13.

Wery interesting, says I, says me.

I definately like my G400 better than my V3, or my friends TNT2. Never played with a GeFarce 256, though. My friend is getting one in a couple of week. I'll see how it does.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Whoops.....my signature is a little out of date

My system is:

Abit BH6 rev 1.0
      Pentium III 558 (450 -> 558)
      G400 @ 160/200 not 150/200

Comment

Basically, if you've got a G400 or a G400MAX, there's no point in even looking at a GeForce unless you really want the T&L support which will eventually come along.

I use a G400 DH at work with two monitors, and I love it, I use a Creative GeForce SDR at home for gaming, and I love it. GeForce has the edge speed wise, and I'd call the image quality a draw in 90% of cases, but the G400 sells for the same $$$ as a GeForce here in Australia, so you can understand my choices here.

OK, now all I have to do is wait for the barrage of flames and ICQ msgs calling me a f@#king nVidia pusher. Well, for anyone who is thinking about it, I'll say in advance, go f@#k yourself.

------------------
        PIII 500@560 (2.1V) - ABit BH6 (NV) - 128MB Corsair CAS2 - 3D Blaster GeForce (135/183) - 12 MB Voodoo2 - SBLive! Value - ViewSonic PS775 - 8.4 + 4.3Gb Quantum Fireball CRs & so on.
        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Yeah, Agent31, I really did like the Geforce DDR. If it hadn't been $290 I'd have kept it. It is really quite fast.

My parent's need something a little more perky for 3D than their G200, would'a loved the G400.....but for now it's mine

Personally, I'm really hoping Matrox puts something really nice together. Not some G450 but maybe one of the rumored multi-chip with T&L boards. If they through DDR in with multi-chip and got like 9GB/s memory throughput.....hehehehe.....that would be nice and we'd be getting the best visual quality possible.

Anyways, have fun with your Geforce!

------------------
          ABIT BH6 rev 1.0, Pentium III SL35D 450MHz -> 558MHz, 192MB SDRAM @ 124MHz CAS2, Toshiba 6X DVD,
          Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive Value, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
          Supermicro SC701A ATX 300watt TurboCool PC Power & Cooling PS, Panasonic Panasync S17
          Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 09:12.

Comment

Agent31, you 'f@#king nVidia pusher'.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 30 December 1999).]
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

See, how good am I? I knew somebody was gonna say it, and now, I don't even have to swear at him, coz I've already done it!

Good on ya Joel hehehe
              Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

I took my Anhilator back to Best Buy and put my G400 max back in, I dont play Quake 3 or Unreal tournament. G400 is my choice for now!!!!

Comment

Thanks dneal, I will enjoy them both!

Comment

I've got the same experience, played 2 days with the Creative DDR - card, but put my G400 back in the place for visual quality and driver functionality.

Comment

Working...
                    X