Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys, what is a "Vanilla" G400?

Hi people!

I'm new here, but browsing the forums for some days now. The reason is that I just bought a G400 "OEM" Card (16MB), and now I have some questions.
    Why should I set the AGP Apa(e?)ture size to 256MB?
    What is a Vanilla Board?
    Can I use Performance Tuner for oveclocking without burning my card (Build 12)? There were some rumors at the beginning of the G400 launch.
    And were do children come from ;-)?

Thanks for responding(I hope somebody does).

Mega

------------------
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
    G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on
    K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz

Vanilla board...hummmm...Lets see here..
    The most popular "flavor" of the G400 series. There has not been a "certified" definition of the species. I myself have deemed it the "Regular Guy" board. Its the board that was a whole lot easier to find on the net in the early days of the cards life.
    This would include the 16meg, and the 32Meg Sh/DH. Any Non MAX....

------------------
    PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW, and some fish,

Comment

I'm not sure what the technical reason for openning one's AGP aperture so wide is, and it certainly defies conventional wisdom. When the board came out, a number of people where experiencing problems, generally lockups, and openning the AGP aperture provided a fix in many cases. It's a fix, not a peformance enhancement.

"Vanilla" is frequently used in English as a substitute for "plain." It's used on this forum and elsewhere to distinguish be the plain G400 and the G400 Max.

I'm not sure which overclocking utility you're refering to. Matrox has their own overclocking utility, which is very easy to use and has a switch for enabling and disabling Vsync. The fan written MGA Tweak is a bit more complicated to use, but a number of people have managed to squeeze out a few more clock cycles with it.

Children come from New Jersey.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks, that was fast

------------------
        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz

Comment

Why should I set the AGP Apa(e?)ture size to 256MB?
          Aperture with an e, or Aperature (British sp. I think.) You don't HAVE to set this that high, but it is useful when encountering conflicts and for troubleshooting. You'll get other opinions, they are probably all right.

What is a Vanilla Board?
          Others will answer, but I think that's what you've got.

Can I use Performance Tuner for oveclocking without burning my card (Build 12)? There were some rumors at the beginning of the G400 launch.
          Others--plenty of help is on the way.

And were do children come from ;-)?
          From inside a cabbage leaf, of course!!

Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

"Vanilla" is the default flavor. However, after the recent rise in G400 smoking, I have been informed that the G450 will be announced in both "menthol" and "clove" varieties.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi MegaManX4! I believe that most of the time, when people refer to the "vanilla" G400, they are referring to the G400 32MB with DualHead, just not the MAX. However, the "vanilla" does have some confusion associated with it, so it could just mean any G400 that is not a MAX...

Wombat, is the G450 going to come in a softpack too, or just a box? Let me guess, the OEM version is going to be the softpack, right?

Cheers!

------------------
              ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @450, 128MB RAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, US Robotics 56K modem, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem
              ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Part of the history of setting AGP aperture to 128 or 256 MB is that this high an aperture is necessary for G400s to boot on some commercial computers like Dell and Gateway. With a 64-MB aperture, the computer just beeps.

Comment

I remember aperture settings of 256 were recommended back when tnt chipset video cards came out, regardless of how much system RAM you had. Was on a small slip of paper packaged with card so as to be noticable.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                  Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                  512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                  Matrox P
                  X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                  LianLiPC70

Comment

what bout that time when matrox was selling g400 max's as 'regular' g400s? would those also be considered 'vanilla'? or would the be 'vanilla with chocolate sprinkles and a cherry on top'?

Comment

Working...
                    X