No announcement yet.

g400 hangs when using bus mastering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried to set the aperture to 16mb still no luck but i can't turn off sidebanding maybe i;m just stupid but when i click the checkbox it won't react.I've checked the clockdivider it is in the correct mode
    it's good to know that someone solved this problem it gives me some hope
    by the way.........a happy new year

Comment

I'm running out of fixes. You're most likely familiar with the issues related to the plate on the G400, which is often a bit curved, and getting the thing properly seated in the AGP slot. Symptoms run the gamut from no video/no boot errors to lockups in Quake. You might want to try to reseat your board, give it a good shove, and make sure it's all the way in and that the pins are properly aligned.

I just installed a G400 Vanilla in a brand new AOpen board, and I did have a bit of a struggle getting the board all the way in the slot. Once I got it in the slot, and I practically had to tap dance on top of the board to accomplish this, it fit quite nicely.

I still suspect VIA here, although I'm not a VIA user. Rags is a Matrox Beta Tester with a lot of experience with the VIA chipset, however. He has repeatedly offered the following advice to VIA Socket 7 and SS7 users:

"Download the new G400 drivers, download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for Powerdesk (the G400 drivers), reboot and you should be up to speed."

Rags would then go on to say that, if you are still have problems, try disabling "Write Cache Pipeline."

O.K. Here's a catch. AOpen appears to have posted an older version of the VIA 4in1 (4in1411.exe) drivers a week after VIA posted new ones (4in1416.exe). It appears the drivers AOpen posted have been superceded *twice.* Most likely, somebody is asleep at the wheel. So, if you are using any of the VIA drivers from AOpen's website, you are using old drivers.

Again, I'm a BX chipset user, so my knowledge of this stuff is limited. I don't know if the issues dealt with above are the same for VIA Socket 7 users and VIA Slot 1 users. I would hope some of the more experienced VIA guys would chime in.

Here is VIA's driver download page:

http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/

God, I hope this helps.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

thanks for all the reply's
        the sad thing is only that it still don't work .I'll will try what paulcs posted
        but i don't believe in it anymore.
        I think i have to wait untill a bios\driver\os update and i will read this great forum that was unreachable for a couple of hours by the way
        keep up the good work

Comment

I finally got it to work
          it did the trick when iset the aperture size to 8mb it still can't compete with the results that you post here but it is much better
          thanks for all the help

Comment

mdm,

Next step is "Side-Banding OFF", I think...
            I transfered topic to http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/007002.html

Comment

Working...
            X