This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 700e or Athlon 700???

Place your votes along with a concise reason why you chose the way you chose please....

I'm specifically looking for the best performance with my G400MAX and the highest stability quotient that I can achieve. I've had good luck with my Old PIII-450@600 RIG and would not like to take a step backwards...

Also, if you could tell which motherboard you're using, along with which Matrox video card you use that would be marvelous....

I'm leaning towards the 700e and am thinking about trying to use it at 133FSB if it will work....

Guyv

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 07 January 2000).]
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

I think that 700e should give you power enough ! And i allso think that Athlon is not bad option too !!

J.
    -J-

Comment

Hey Guyver,
      I'm haveing exellent result with an IWill SlocketII and a 550. Stable at stock voltage at 133MHZ, 733!!! You could run it in you existing MoBO, saveing money, and they are not that expencive. Got mine for $355.

Still useing my AOpen AX6BC (not Pro or Gold; noo voltage tweaking) and G400MAX.

You know the rest of your system is stable at 133MHz!!

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Comment

I like my P3-700E... I'm using my ABIT BE6. Running very stable at (124x1/3)x7. The G400 MAX has no problem at this FSB. I'm using an Alpha P3125 and can get to the Windows splash screen at a FSB of 133 MHz. It may need active cooling to go higher but I'm still tweeking to get it there.

At 868Mhz this is what it looks like.

Paul

------------------
        P3-700 @ 868MHz, ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW,
        SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98
        all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I would go for the Athlon.

Currently, I have a 500MHz Athlon on FIC SD-11 mobo. This solution rock for me and my G200 Marvel card. I never had so stable a PC. It runs everything I throw at it, only limited by the OS (Win98 - yrk!).

I've tryed this thing with a vanilla G400 32MB DH and it worked fine!

My boss has a PIII 500@600 on Asus P3BF and it scores right around the same in 3DMark99 as my Athlon 500 (both running the G400). And in most other cases we're quite even in scores as well.

All Athlon mobo's have ATA/66 controller onboard, few PIII mobo's have this, another plus for AMD.

But many things can be said both for and against both CPU types, so what YOU should choose is up to you. I know I would go for the Athlon. But that's just me...

Ghydda

------------------
          A slowly desintegrating nobody running this...

As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
          My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
          |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

Alright, you bunch of braggers...off to General Hardware with ya....

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
            X