Just reinstalled Win98 and NO D3D??????? Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just reinstalled Win98 and NO D3D??????? Please help

I just reinstalled Windows after a full format and then I installed S.E.. I have no D3D support for any apps. Please tell me how to fix this (if you know), because I want to get my ass whooped in UT on the MURC site (I just got the full version)!!! Thanks for your prompt replies.

Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Whats telling you you haven't any d3d support?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

UT for one. Ummm, Drakan, any d3d game tells me that I only have software mode available. Q3 runs ok until it crashes. Oh well, I guess it's my card and not windows that was messed up to begin with.
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

It is possible that windoze screwed up again when re-installing. How about installing Dx7 and see what happens.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ok, will try tomorrow.
          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi! I have the same problem and installing Dx 7 did not help. I can use 3D for like two minutes and then I get a classic windows "blue screen" and I have to restart my computer. I'm using the G200 on a win98 machine with a AMD K6-2 350 Mhz.

What is "VIA patches" and "AMD AGP patch"?

/Fredrik

[This message has been edited by kfa (edited 13 January 2000).]
            /Fredrik

Comment

Hmmm,

I had this problem with PD 5.30, 5.13 and 5.20. Any earlier or later drivers aer o.k.

OGL games would work but D3D games would cause an error and the BSOD to appear forcing me to re-boot.

I just use PD 5.25 or 5.41 at the moment with no probs.

Comment

I started of with 5.41 but then I got a blue screen every time I tried to shut off my computer. After a tip in this forum I changed to 5.30 and changed to 8M (instead of 256M) in my BIOS and now I have no problems with 2D but problems (as stated abowe) in 3D.

[This message has been edited by kfa (edited 13 January 2000).]
                /Fredrik

Comment

kfa,

you prpbably need the latest VIA 4in1 patch for your motherboard, but no AMD patches (that is, if your chipset is VIA).

You can get that from VIA web site (http://www.viatech.com/drivers/index.htm). If you are running Win98SE, you should probably only upgrade the AGP driver, not necessarily even the busmaster driver for your IDE controller.

Also, your crashes may very well be caused by trying to use AGP 2x mode with a G200. Have you tried forcing AGP1x in your BIOS setup?

Muad'Dib, there is a handy tool with Directx7 (was it DXdiag) that you probably should check. That should be able to run a direct3d test etc.

For UT there is known bug that it does not report Direct3d unless you first "Display all" and then select it from the list. I think it is corrected in the latest patch, though.

Is your system otherwise working OK? (Powerdesk running, DualHead working etc?), and no other display adapters visible in ControlPanel or registry? (Sometimes Win98 leaves a standard PCI VGA adapter behind just to make things not work).

M.
                  year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

AGP 2x mode is 'disabled' in my BIOS

>(that is, if your chipset is VIA).
                    How do I know that? I don't konw what VIA is?
                    My motherboard is a Lucky Star MVP3/AGP/AT

Another question, what is Win98SE. How do I know if it is 'SE'?

Thank you very much for your help! I would be lost without forums like this!
                    /Fredrik

Comment

Me again!

Installing the VIA 4in1 patch did not help

/Fredrik

Comment

kfa.

An MVP3 motherboard does run the VIA chipset. When I used an Epox MVP3 board my G200 used to be particularly choosy about the order in which I installed the Via Patches and the Matrox Drivers.

Try Checking your motherboard manufacturers website to see if there are any specific VIA drivers for your mobo first. Epox used to tweak the VIA drivers specifically for their boards.

If your mobo manufacturers website has individual VIA patches (as opposed to the 4in1) then just try the AGP one first - then maybe Bus Mastering and install the AGP in non-turbo mode (don't bother too much about the IDE drivers for now - they don't really give you the claimed 50% increase)

I suggest using the Matrox Uninstall to remove the current drivers, rebooting and defining your card as standard VGA. Applying the VIA patches and then re-installing Matrox Drivers.

All this assumes that you Matrox isn't experiencing problems with IRQ conflicts. Turning off BusMastering for the card usually tells you if you need to apply the VIA busmaster patches - If it works with Busmastering off then apply the patch.

As far as patching VIA is concerned I found incremental Patching best. Start with the oldest available and work upwards trying your Matrox after each patch. When the Matrox is stable only go up a patch if you're prepared to do it all again if it fails.

I'm sorry to tell you this but in my experience Matrox cards don't get on with VIA chipset. I hated my G200 until I moved to an Abit BX6r2 and since then (over a year now) it hasn't given me a spot of bother. No matter how unstable the rest of my system got I could no longer blame it on the G200.

hope this helps some.
                        Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Comment

If your app is UT, then you must install DirectX 7.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Why does Direct X Diagnostic say that the Matrox drivers (G400.drv) are not certified? Does this matter? I'm using PDesk 5.30 with latest bios.

Oh, and what is that little box that says AGP Support enabled? I never had that before, even when I was running DX7 before I formatted?
                            [This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 13 January 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 13 January 2000).]
                            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't worry about the Microsoft Certification. It just means that MS has not officially blessed the drivers yet. As long as the bouncing boxes and spinning cubes work OK, DX7 is doing its job and the drivers are compatible with it.

RAB
                              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
                              X