Horizontal flickering on G400 revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal flickering on G400 revisited

I'm just in the process of trying to get an RMA for my vanilla 16mb G400. I've been talking to 'Saad' at Matrox TS, and so far, we've gone through:
    -resetting my CPU back to 366
    -changing CPU (2 Cel 366's, 2 Cel 266's, one PIII500)
    -changing mobo's (I have 3 P2B's around here)
    -forcing 1x AGP (Saad mailed me a MatroxUtil, dunno what it did, but I've also tried the 1x reg hack)

So far nothing has worked. I still have flashing horizontal lines, most visible against a light background. It wasn't bothering me too much up until I picked up UT. Now it's driving me nuts.

I know there were a few people having the same problems with early boards. Care to share the resolution?

Thanks
    DS

------------------
    Cel 366@550 (monster FDP32...love it!) on Asus P2b (1011), 128MB PC133, OEM G400/16 (PD5.41), Fujitsu 5.25gb, Maxtor 4.3gb, Asus SC200 PCI SCSI card, Pioneer slot load 32X SCSI, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300 (Aureal 2040), Intel EtherExpress 16, Grey Cat, Orange Cat (still MIA)

Where's my 500e?

Games Box
    --------------
    Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
    ------
    Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
    -------------
    Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Moving this back up....
    After talking to TS again this morning, I'm going to try the card on a BP6 board at my office. This seems rather silly to me after everything else I've tried, but they don't seem to anxious to give me a replacement card. I forwarded two other threads from this forum regarding exactly the same issues, and in those cases the users got a new board....

*sigh*
    Games Box
    --------------
    Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
    ------
    Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
    -------------

Comment

Ok. I've been in denial on this one for a while. I got my G400 16mb single head oem back in October. I first noticed the horizontal lines in everquest against the light sky, then in UT on the menu screen it was painfully obvious, now it's driving me nuts in my browser and even doing the flicker occasionally as I type this now. Compound this with the fact that I currently don't have a back up card to replace this one, so am not real excited about the prospect of pursuing an RMA on this, especially considering what Darksyd is going through.

I've done a little research on this and found this thread: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004651.html I've also read about this problem on alt.comp.periphs.videocards. matrox newsgroup. I understand that backing off the acceleration functions under the graphic performance tab will fix the flicker, but this is not a viable option, as I NEED to play my games . My hope is that someone at matrox will get hold of one of these cards and provide a fix either in bios or as a driver update. Come on Haig, throw us a bone here. I've come to love my card and the community that surrounds it. Anyone have any other ideas? Please help.

Comment

OK, plugged it into my BP6 at the office, no difference at all.

On a different note, I see what you guys with the Abit boards are talking about. It almost seems as if the AGP slot is not located quite right.

And now of course everyone at Matrox has gone home for the weekend

Oh well, at least I know now. I'll deal with it on Monday.

DS
        Games Box
        --------------

Video Box
        ------

Feline Tech Support
        -------------

Comment

I have had just this week the card replaced(unfortunately SDRAM instead of SGRAM). This card was bought with PC in Sep. In the shop they told me that this is a fault of certain revision of this card and that it is not (unfortunately) rare. No probs.
          JLordsen

Comment

Working...
          X