Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte motherboards having trouble recognising G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte motherboards having trouble recognising G400?

I´m sure all of you know that Gigabyte GA-MGA400 thing, a G400 clone that only works with gigabyte mobo´s. Ok, that´s fine for me, BUT I have updated my Gigabyte 7IX bios to F2d and on reboot I was in plain VGA mode and my Millennium G400 was recognized as a GA-MGA400... YUCK! Reflashing F1 bios cured it.

I understand the f2d bios is beta, but is it that impossible to distinguish between a GA-MGA400 and a real Matrox G400? What does this mean, I can´t use any Gigabyte bios that has GA-MGA400 bios built in?

Anyone using a Gigabyte board and having trouble with the G400?

Didn't the GA-MGA400 BIOS reside in the mainboard BIOS? That would explain something...
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Scytale: Yes, I realize that the GA-MGA400 only works with gigabyte mobo´s because the video card hasn´t a bios, it is on the mobo bios. But the mobo should recognize the GA-MGA400 and the Mill G400 as diferent cards, right? I e-mailed gigabyte about it, but I still didn´t get a reply.

Comment

Regardless, both cards will have the same PCI vendor and device ID, which is how these things are usually recognized.

Gigabyte doesn't write its own BIOS or drivers for "their" G400; they are provided by Matrox. The GA-MGA400 is not a "G400 clone" - its a G400.

Just use the BIOS designed for your mainboard: F2 is just F1 with a G400 BIOS.

Comment

I don´t know much about Gigabyte bios release policy. Do you mean they have different bios releases, one with GA-MGA400 support and one without it? That would be fine. What I fear is that the bios from now on always have a G400 bios built in, overiding the Matrox bios.

I have no problem having the card recognized as a GA-MGA400, it´s just I bet Gigabyte´s driver releases will always be 2 steps behind Matrox.

Comment

I had understood that the newer BIOS (including the beta) addressed issues relating to the G400 "add-on" card, rather than the mainboard proper.

There's no reason why Gigbyte's drivers or BIOS would ever be behind Matrox's, but they should have a BIOS option to disable the onboard VGA BIOS...

Their G400 w/o BIOS is odd, to be sure. As with their "DualBios", blue PCBs, and "turbo" jumpers, Gigabyte seems to be having trouble finding a niche for themselves...

Comment

Working...
            X