Win2000 - Day 1...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2000 - Day 1...

Yep...I did it. Went for the whole enchilada... Been using my system more and more for real work and less and less for games.

Decided on Win2000 for it's stability. Installation went fine (an hour or so of tapping my fingers, but it's in). Matrox beta drivers install fine, appear to be very stable for both 2D and OpenGL screen savers and haven't run into any problems.

(one of my past problems w/ Win98 and the G400 was running an OpenGL screensaver and power management features while running TalkWorks Pro - system would GPF and need a hard reboot - Win2000 handles this w/o a problem).

The only thing I'm missing is a DVD player (I know, spring $30 and get WinDVD).

IMHO, Win2000 isn't the standard "consumer" OS. If you really know computers, then this would be the OS of choice. For the average mom and dad that can barely use a mouse, furgitit!

------------------
    Gateway G6-400 - Intel 440bx Tabor mobo, 128mb RAM, Intel PIII 550 processor, Matrox G400 SH, onboard Ensoniq AudioPCI sound chip, Epson Perfection 610 Scanner and Windows 2000 Professional
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

I've already put it on my Mum & Dad's system precisely because they don't know much about computers.

There are lot fewer hassles, and far less potential for doing something that requires a reload.

Paul

Comment

An hour? What happened?

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Regarding Talkworks, check this out:
        http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/vURL.cgi/wfx50

Really pathetic, yet another vendor that waits until release date before announcing that they won't be supporting Windows 2000.

For the first time I am really starting to feel sorry for MS. They have done a great job, only to be let down by short sighted vendors.

Paul

Comment

Everyone is buying into this whole "business OS" thing. Can't anyone think outside the box for once and recognize that this OS rocks for anybody? If you meet the minimum specs, it's better than 98 or NT.

Jon
          My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
          2 Pentium III 500 MHz
          256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
          Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
          2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
          Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
          Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
          Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
          Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
          Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

Don't get me wrong gang. I haven't given up using my 'puter for non-work purposes (read GAMES). (my wife would wonder about me then!)

Check out CNET Gamecenter's write-up on running games under Win2000.

Win2000 is definitely more stable, easier to run, etc. Patiently waiting for Matrox to update their drivers.

FYI, regarding Symantec's non-support of Win2000 w/ TalkWorks Pro/WinFAX, when I installed it on Win2000, the install froze 1/2 way thru. Did a reboot and reinstalled. Installed without any problems and works BETTER than it did under Win98.

The only thing MS could have added would have been voicemail support along with their fax program.
            Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

W2K is far superior than W98, IMHO, it will be a shame if Matrox don't support it.

Comment

noackjr

AGREED!!! as soon as win2k drivers are available for all my hardware i'm going to dump win98se. crative has announced mid-march for the live. hopefully epson will have theirs by then.

win2k is very snappy on this rig...i'm really enjoying the speed...

chucky

Comment

one other thing...finally a version of windows that..CORRECTLY..powers down my scsi drives..BUILT-IN!! the hibernate feature works like a charm, except i don't want to give up 512 mb of disk space.

chucky

Comment

Working...
                  X