Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezes and drops to the desktop - solution...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezes and drops to the desktop - solution...

Okay - this is a NIGHTMARE.
    Drakan - will either dump me back to the Windows desktop or freeze. Crtl/Alt/Del doesn't work - it's a re-set button job. Have just recently installed the Drakan patch and haven't *really* tested it yet, but have had one freeze so far. This is with EMBM off by the way.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 does the same thing.
    I can't even play Unreal Tournament - constant GPF's.
    Yes I'm using 5.25 - DX7.0 - Video cache *disabled* ... AGP1x - what else - ummmm pretty much everything that has been mentioned as fixes in this forum.
    Machine specs: Celery366@550 (2.2v) - stable and cool
    192mb PC100 SDRAM
    SBLive (LiveWare 2.1 and *no* conflicts)
    Asus P2B - BIOS 1010
    Win98 (not SE) with all updates - *clean* install about 1-2 weeks ago to try and fix these problems!
    Surprizingly I can't recall having these problems with Q3A (OpenGL) - haven't re-installed yet so can't re-check.
    All diagnostics check out - Matrox, DX, Norton's etc etc...
    Anyone got any bright ideas?
    Cause if you have I will be indebted to you forever as I'm about to tear all my hair out.
    Cheers
    Jas
    MiNIoN
    helixx_@hotmail.com

Machine specs: Celery366@550 (2.2v) - stable and cool"

Apparantly not so stable. Does the problem persist at normal clockings?

And what are your IRQ assignments?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Do you really think the CPU could be the cause? Surely it would also affect the daily running of the machine - like Photoshop etc.
      The temp doesn't rise above 35-40 that's not in dodgey territory. No - haven't put it back to 66mHz - will do so tonight.
      Can't give you the IRQ's right now - I'm at work =)
      Off the top of my head the G400 is 11
      MiNIoN
      helixx_@hotmail.com

Comment

Playing games like Drakan does not compare to using photoshop, or regular desktop apps.

3D games are much more CPU intensive, and newer ones like you listed would be using AGP transfers to some extent. Photoshop would never do that, and does not need to calc thousands of polys continuously.

So yes, it is a possability that the overclocking might be the cause...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah, it could be the o/c cpu. Even though it is running at 550 for all apps, things like photoshop and normal web browsing and word processing don't really tax the processor to full capacity, or use much (if any) mmx instructions. Those games put a full load on the cpu with mmx being used, so the core temp will be slightly higher, and current draw will go up. Even this may not cause an apparent increase in temp, there is more stress on the cpu core.
          I had a problem similar to this with my o/c K6-III 450 when I run it at 504, so I'm burning it in at 475 with higher voltage for a couple weeks to get it stable. Not sure if this type of thing works with celeries, but it does for AMD chips.

Comment

Sweet - I'll test tonight and post results.
            Thanks for the help (so far) =)
            MiNIoN
            helixx_@hotmail.com

Comment

Popped my 300A back in last night - it runs fine @450 2.2v - and all my problems are gone =)
              My 366 is a scoket370 and I have a Gigabyte Slocket... reading this morning that sometimes slockets can cause problems. I'm soooooo close to running my 366@550 (stable).
              Will try a new slocket and do some lapping on my GlobalWin (and *maybe*) the CPU slug - to see if I can get things right.
              Thanks for the help
              MiNIoN
              helixx_@hotmail.com

Comment

Well...
                I wish DK2 has "auto save" because it crash for about every 3~10 mins. However, other games work better: Q3A fine, sometimes crash to desktop (for about every 1.5~2 hrs), and Homeworld rarely crash (but still happens).
                My config:
                MSI MS-6167
                K7-500
                G400 16MB DualHead (IRQ5)
                SBLive Value with Liveware 3.0 (IRQ10)
                Tekram DC-390 SCSI controller (IRQ 11)
                128MB SDRAM
                IBM 13.5GB HDD
                Windows 98 (not SE)
                DirectX 7.0
                PD 5.50.010

I tried to change slots of the cards, doesn't help. The slot 3 share IRQ with G400 (both for DC-390 and live), So I avoid it.
                The Live! like to have higher IRQ, which where the G400 should be. I can't change IRQ manually. Does anybody knows how-to? I hate to save and worried about when will it crash.

Comment

Seems solved...
                  Now I plug SBLive in slot 1,
                  DC-390 in slot 2.
                  G400: IRQ5
                  Live: IRQ11
                  DC390: IRQ10
                  PS/2: IRQ12
                  SB16 emulation: IRQ9 <- this is strange
                  However, I played DK2 for about 2 hr, no problem. I hope this time it really works.

Comment

Working...
                  X