Windows 2000 and Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 and Unreal Tournament

I was wondering wheter there are more people with an Athlon (or better combined with the Asus K7M), where Unreal Tournament crashes the computer after several seconds under Windows 2000.

I have installed the latest drivers from Matrox. I start up Unreal Tournament (latest patch) and come up in the menu. And within 10 seconds the screen gets garbage all over and the computer crashes.

Another one is that when I access the menu the computer also crashes, but I have no idea wheter this might be a mouse problem. Although I don't believe that the mouse drivers from Windows are buggy.

However, the G400 on a friend computer with a Pentium III works like a charm under Windows 2000. Is it possible that Matrox does something very wrong with 3DNow!?

Frank

I hope not! I get my new KX133 mobo in a couple weeks and would be a little upset if this was true. I have tried UT under Win2k with a PIII500 overclocked to 560 and Celeron300a overclocked to 504.
    Asus K7V
    Athlon 700
    128mb PC133 HSDRAM
    Matrox Millennium g400max
    Adaptec 2940U2W
    IBM 9gb U2W
    Plextor 8/20 cdr
    Diamond MX300
    3com 905b-tx

Comment

Hi,

Exact same problem. Athlon 700 Asus Mb. Ugpraded from G400 single head to a max. Unreal T starting to lock up. Not overclocked... I changed nothing just reinstalled the drivers. Post on Matrox gaming mentioned something about voltage too low. I don't know enough about changing voltage yet to try.

Comment

mj12, as I said, on a PIII there are no problems with Unreal Tournament and the G400.

John Woods, under Windows 98 SE everything works fine. OK, it locks up more with my Atlon 500 than on my PII 450, so I really need a 300W supply.

But I don't believe that Windows 2000 somehow uses more current than Windows 98 SE. Someone else experiencing the same problems?

Frank

Comment

I'm running Windows 2000 (retail) with the latest Matrox drivers and the 'leaked' beta Vortex2 drivers. I also lock up after a few seconds in UT. I have a dual P3-450 (504 oc'd) so it could be an SMP effect on the Vortex drivers but I haven't tested yet.
          Dual P3-450@504 - Asus P2B-DS - 384MB PC100 - Matrox G400Max - Sony 21" GDM-500PS - Diamond MX300 - 40GB Diamondmax Plus 40 HDD - Pioneer 6X DVD - Plextor 8/20 CD-R - 3Com 10/100 - Hauppauge Win-TV Theater

Comment

So it seems, indicating from some other threads, that the Windows 2000 'final' drivers have two main problems with Unreal Tournament:

- Crash after a few seconds when using an Athlon (with an Asus K7M with every BIOS revision possible).

- Crash after a few seconds using a PIII multiprocessor setup. According to other threads also with Celerons.

With a PIII it works flawlessly.

As Windows 2000 seems to be extremely stable, it's probably the display drivers. I'm interested wheter these drivers will pass Microsofts testing and get certified. If that happens, I'm laughing my head off. ;-)

Frank

[This message has been edited by franksch3 (edited 02 March 2000).]

Comment

Working...
            X