DVD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aryko,
    you can get AC3 from your old SB live value (first edition) without the need of any add on board. Just connect Pin 1 & 2 of the connector you find inside the card to your
    Dolby Digital decoder.
    I am using the G400 standard DVD player with
    the Genie to activate the SPDF-out on the SB.
    Regards

Roberto

Comment

I also have a G200+RR/G+DVD Hardware Addon+TV Out module. I love it.

Your message is just what I was looking for. The latest driver I was using was the PD 5.21, I didn't know if PD5.41 would work with my DVD addon (especially since Matrox just seems to tack the disclaimer that it doesn't on everything these days, including the driver versions that do work for me.)

I love the DVD Addon at this time. From what I understand the Hardware addon is the closest comparison to G400 DVDmax's feature on the G200. When you play a DVD movie full screen or in a window, the result is Full screen on your TV set (if connected, I use the S-Video connector and find the quality to be astounding - better than the Creative Encore Dxr2 I used to use.)

The question of a hack, I am sure it's possible. The Zoran decoder chip outputs AC3, Matrox only provided the output on the Matrox Marvel BOB. If I can find a detailed pinout of the Zoran chipset, I am sure I could engineer a "mod" that would provide SPDIF output. However, I only have a high-end Dolby Pro-Logic receiver at this time.

I also only have a K6-2 350Mhz on a ASUS P5A mobo, but I love it. It's amazing how many 3D software programs I can run fairly decently (my friends with the latest do have better frame rates and such, but are amazed at the performance I still squeeze out of my slower system.)

I hope that Matrox does continue to work on the DVD Addon, it provides longevity for their G200 series of products (which are still available for sale, and I recommend for those on the cheep.)

Thanks,
      Profound Runner
      ---- aka Willie -------

Comment

Hi,
        So I'm happy I'm not the only DVD mod user here. ) I had no problems with the hw DVD and PDesk(up to 5.52) so far. The only reason I'm stuck with 5.41 is the DX. With the newer drivers all DX applications go to BSOD with busmastering on. I really tried everything I could, and everything I read here on the list without any effect. 5.41 with 5.52 ICD is just fine for most games.
        And yes, the DVD mod's picture quality is superb. I showed it to my friends(they have H+) and they were amazed also. So I love it.
        Back to the hack. I'm totally dumb for electronics, but I think the digital output should be on the G200, or the RRG card. Maybe there's just no connector for it. Because as I saw there is no specific hw DVD mod for Marvels. So the signal must be on one of these somewhere. Hope this will help.
        Br,
        Chris

Comment

- Roby53

Some additional information about the SonyPhilipsDigitalInterFace (SPDIF), (standard EUB IEC958 1989-03 consumer, later known as IEC60958 (normal audio) and IEC61937 (digital datastreams such as DTS, AC3 etc.) and tapping it from SBLive. Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong at any point.

These days PC CD/DVD-ROM drives and soundcards often have a digital output connector and the interface is usually called "SPDIF". Unfortunately the electrical signal is not always exactly the same as what is specified in the SPDIF standard. The data format is of course the same, but the signal level is not. The signal is usually avaliable in TTL (or CMOS compatible) level, 5Vpp. This high signal level is maybe choosen to make it easier interfacing other digital electronic's within a computer but it causes problems as well...

This is what the SPDIF standard says about the line driver:
          * Zout: 75ohm +-20% @ 100kHz to 6Mhz bandwidth occupation
          * Vout: 0.4Vpp to 0.6Vpp and <0.05Vdc (75ohm terminated)

This requires some additional circuitry to make the signal match what normal SPDIF equipment expects.

What kind of transmission do you use, optical (Toslink) or electrical? If electrical, are you aware of that SPDIF requires a 75 Ohm terminated coaxial cable to ensure proper function? It MAY work with something else, but for how long and at what quality. You could encoutner jitter and/or data loss during transmission, wich of corse will give a degredation of sound quality.

This is what the SPDIF standard says about the cable:
          * Cable: 75ohm +/-5% (l<10m) or 75ohm +/-35% (l>10m)

Conclusion:
          It may not be as easy as to connect one "SPDIF-labled" output to one "SPDIF-labled" input with whatever cable you may have laying around. It MAY "work", but is it working in a proper way? If you are unsure, a comercial add on I/O-board is a very easy path to obtain proper conectivity unless you have some knowledge and experience in ElectricalEngineering. Even then it would for sure cost you less to buy a mass produced I/O-board, but then you would miss out all the fun in designing your own solution, wich in the end should not differ much from the commercial stuff... That's why a recommend the faster,easier and cheeper way of buying a Hoontech SB DB III or something similar.

Thank You // Bond

Comment

Thanx for the reply Bond.
            The point is that I'd like to(I must) use the DVD addon(because of the lack of system resources, which will remain for a period of time). This addon definitely _does_audio_decoding_ we just don't know how to get this signal, because the G200/RR-G doesn't have the SPDIF connector that Marvels have. It's clear anyway that I have to change my soundcard.
            It would be nice to have some comment, advices, ideas from Matrox guys around here.
            Br,
            Chris

Comment

- ganyaik
              I understand your point. My latest post was just additional info in respons to Roby53's post about the digital out of SBLive Value.

Thank you // Bond

Comment

Bond:
                Sorry then, I think I misunderstood you.
                Br,
                Chris

Comment

The cheapest way to get goos AC-3 Dolby Digital outputed to a decoder is by buying a SB Live! Value, which runs for under $50, and then buying the Digital I/O daughtercard from Creative for $50. You pay a little over $100 for the entire setup and get optical, SPIDF and analog ins and outs.

All you then need is a software DVD player that will do the pass through and an AC-3 decoder.

Yamaha is releasing a PCI card AC-3 decoder card sometime this year for around $150 if I remember correctly. Don't remember the specs, but it looks decent.

Jammrock

------------------
                  Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                  X