My system specs:
    Dfi p5b3+ rev b
    Amd 550 k6-2
    Sblive 1024
    128mg ram pc100
    Matrox g400 dh 32meg
    seagate medalist 4.3gb

What OS version are you running?

If it's SE, there's a patch on M$'s website for this. Also check your MB mfr for the latest BIOS...many older Bios's don't make nice with w98SE.
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

And upgrade your motherboard drivers (via 4in1?).

Paul
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Iam running win98se.And i have the latest agp
        driver,irq steering,pci reg from via.
        I did have an voodoo banhee and it was faster
        than the g400.In 3dmark 2000 i did get 1300 with a banshee and with g400 i did 1010.
        And ihve latest bios for my motherboard,date
        3.1-2000 and latest drivers&bios for g400.

Comment

If you had a banshee in the mobo before the Matrox, make sure to uninstall the old banshee drivers. At this point, you will also have to uninstall the Matrox drivers as well (using the uninstall utility, see the MURC page to get it and also see the FAQ archives for the process.). then reinstall the Matrox drivers and the VIA AGP driver.

Assuming you have the banshee banished (sorry, I couldn't resist ), then you might have an IRQ conflict. If the problem persists, post a list of your IRQ from device manager and we'll go from there.

RAB
          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

you can also get this effect from BIOS settings that are too aggressive - try toning down some of the PCI / RAM related BIOS settings and see if it corrects it.

------------------
            "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."
            "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

IRQ 5 Creative SB Live! Value
              IRQ 5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
              IRQ 10 VIA Tech PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
              IRQ 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
              IRQ 11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
              IRQ 11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
              IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
              IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
              IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
              IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
              This is the irq´s.
              And my system is clean install.
              I need heeeeeelp!!!!!!

Comment

I have been using the same board for over a year or so and are very pleased with it (Great stability).

My tips are based on win98 first ed. and the Marvel G200/Millennium G200 (had them both) so I cannot guarantee that it 'll work for Win98SE/G400 as well...

Use the newest bios (01-03-2000). You can find it on www.dfi.com. In my opinion this is the best bios to use with the board.

Go with the 5.41 powerdesk combined with the viagart driver 3.56 and use ide busmaster drivers 2.44.
                (I believe that win98SE has integrated the drivers of VIA but I do not know what the version numbers are...)

Make sure that in your device manager no devices appear double. I had this problem...

PAIT

DFI P5BV3+ rev. b
                AMD K6-2 500@523
                128 Mb
                Marvel G200 AGP
                Adaptec 2940UW
                Guillemot Maxi Sound Home Studio 64

Comment

I have allready the new bios from dfi.
                  In the device manager there are no conflicts
                  shown (irq´s etc..).
                  where can i get agp driver 3.56 i got 3.55.
                  If i can´t get this to work ,then im gonna get a voodoo3.

Comment

Christ, you're still running 3.55? That probably is your problem. I have 3.59 posted here - http://www.comingup.org/agp359.zip . The newest version (4.0) is on the Via site, but I had problems with it on my MVP3 based system (with a G200 SD). You may have better luck with a G400, but I don't think so. The 3.59 gart is the one I have found to perform best on my system (Epox MVP3G-M G200 SD 16MB, etc), stability and speed wise.

------------------

Comment

My sysem sucks big time.I´ll never had so mutch broblems like ihave now.Now i just would pay anything to get my old banshee back.This g400 are slower than the old voodoorush i hadd once in time.

Comment

It's not your G400 it's your system/setup.

Rags

Comment

Get a better mobo processor combo. 500+ MHz Processor,440BX or Athlon mobo should cure your ills. G400 works much better on non SS7 boards.
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Dude, stop bitching about it and let people help you (as your original intention was I'm sure). SS7 systems are pita's.

Ok, I'm sure you have already checked this, but bus mastering is enabled, right? The best pdesk version I found with my ss7 system were the 5.30, so you might want to try those.

And now, I will leave this to Tim and Rab and the other experts who helped me to get mine working...

Dimitri

Also, you might want to try posting at www.amdzone.com with a post to Rylan if you don't get anywhere from here. He knows A LOT about ss7's as well as these guys. He might think of something they overlook or vise versa.

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 23 April 2000).]
                            "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                            --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Just take a look at my system specs and you may see something you missed. Who knows? I do know that my system is pretty stable and for the most part the problems I do have are not related to the G400 at all.

Joel

------------------
                              System Specs

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
                              X