Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End to the 64bitDDR / 128bit DualBus G450 questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End to the 64bitDDR / 128bit DualBus G450 questions...

OK...now that Matrox has made their G450 announcement, several people have asked "what good is 64bit DDR, and what happened to 128bit DualBus?"

Well, the answer is:

The 64bitDDR interface has nothing to do with the 128bit DualBus arcitechture.

128bitDualBus relates to how the card as a whole interacts with the mobo.

64bitDDR relates to how the on-board ram interacts with the on-board processor (nothing to do with the DualBus to the mobo).

The 2 are not "directly" related. G450 will retain the same 128bit DualBus goodness as the 400, with the 64bitDDR on-board as a "non-related-to-dualbus" improvement.

Follow along...

With 32bit SGRAM (like our current G400s), an (on board) clock cycle looks like this:

Clock...Data
    -------------
    ..0.....Idle
    ..1....128bit latched (32bitx4chips)
    ..0.....Idle

With 64bit DDR:
    Clock...Data
    -------------
    ..0.....Idle
    ..1.....64bit latched (64bitx1chip)
    ..0.....64bit latched (64bitx1chip)

Final result: 1 clock cycle = 128bits of data x-ferred, with either setup.

The real advantage of DDR comes in several forms:
    -Same x-fer rate per cycle BUT:
    -Clock speed should be higher, so more cycles per second
    -Fewer mem chips = smaller main chip (fewer tracers for 2x 64bit chip than for 4x 32bit chips, therefore fewer pins on main processor)

While the 64bitDDR may not be a "huge" improvement over 32bit SGRAM performance-wise, it is an improvement production-wise. I would expect the G450s to be a noticably smaller chip (and card overall) than the G400s. PCBs will be simplified, tracer lengths have more room, and overall stability should improve.

So...as noted by Ant's news blurb, G450 is not going to be a huge leap in performance, and will not be marketed towards FPS counting gamers. It will be more like the G250 was to the G200...just an improved model of an existing chip, not geared as a full-blown replacement for G400, but a more cost-effective (production-wise) model with marginally better performance. Most people will not want to bother trading in their G400 for a G450, as the speed difference is not likely to be all that huge...

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 26 April 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 26 April 2000).]
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Thank's for clearing that up Kruzin... ,i do have another question for you though,i heard through a fairly reliable source that matrox has plans to spoil somewhat nvidia's public introduction tomorrow of their new card(Geforce2)by also officially introducing the G800 at about the same time,any comments?... .
    note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
    P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Nope. If that happens then it happens, but until it does we cannot. Sorry
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Uhm, something doesn't seem right here. DDR
        transfers on the rising and falling clock edge, so you get 2 transfers/clock. IE, 166 Mhz DDR isn't really run at 333Mhz, it's just doing 2 mem xfers in one clock (not doubling the clock rate). So, if the G450 ships with 166 or 200Mhz DDR, it will have the same bandwith as the current g400 and g400Max (respectively).

Since the G450 has a 64 bit memory interface, wouldn't the chips have to be organized as 2*32 or 4*16? This still cuts the number of traces in half, so there some good cost savings going on (although I thought high end DDR was more expensive per megabit than SDR).

If Matrox gets DDR with a clock rate higher than 200Mhz, then there will be better bandwidth. Or, if Matrox uses FCRAM clocked at 166Mhz or higher, the g450 would then have greater effective bandwidth than even the g400Max.

-AJ
        Trying to figuring out what Matrox is up to is like tying to find a road that's not on the map, at night, while wearing welders googles!

Comment

Kruzin:

Thanks for clearing that up. Now all you have to do is email a billion tech sites and tell THEM that. I'd be more than happy to paste your post into an email and send a few out.

The Rock www.3dforce.com
          Bart

Comment

"128bitDualBus relates to how the card as a whole interacts with the mobo."

I just want to clarify that that statement isn't totally correct. DualBus are the buses (bi?) that connect the internal buffers to the engine, not the card to the mobo.

I agree with everything else, though. Well, everything except for the, "Clock speed should be higher, so more cycles per second" for DDR. Isn't the Radeon 256 supposed to be the first vid card to utilize 200MHz (5ns) DDR memory? It seems to me that making memory that runs in DDR is harder/more expensive than SDR.

------------------
            You have been Donimated
            You have been Donimated

Comment

Working...
            X