File System???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File System???

I was thinking the other day that one question we never ask is what file system is a person using that is having a problem. I personally am still using the FAT16 with my WIN98 setup because I tend to have problems when using FAT32 that I don't see in FAT16, especially with games. I know I may have to create more partions but it is worth it for the stability. Plus it helps me to organize my games better.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 30 April 2000).]
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Never had a problem with FAT32 and I've been using it ever since it first came out. Your wasting allllllloooottt of disk space right now using Fat16 also your limited to a paltry 2g partition. YUK!
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

This from DosFreak... kinda ironic, don't you think? :P Depending on the size of the drive, if it's formatted as a single partition with FAT32, you may not waste any space - it can have cluster sizes up to 32K. But, I don't like multiple partitions and I do like the duplicate FAT for error recovery, so I think I'll stick with FAT32 myself. Never had any problems with it, especially as regards Matrox Hardware.

------------------
      "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."
      "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

So what FS is common to DOS, Win9x, and NT? FAT16! It does have its uses.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yes Joel, FAT16 is more stable,

Yes DosFreak, you do waste space! especially if you're having 32K clusters, but it's also faster and as a DosFreak you should know that 32K clusters makes the fastest diskaccess.

All in All, FAT16 with 32K clusters is the perfect solution for your C: drive.. Stable, Fast and who needs more than 2Gb on your system drive?

------------------
          Abit BH6, P3-600E@800(6x133), 128mb MCT 8ns CAS3, G400MAX(OC'ed 110%), SBLIVE, AHA 2940AU, WDC 4.3, WDC 6.4, IBM GXP34 20.5, Mitsumi FX48, Yamaha 4416S, Zyxel Prestige 100IH, 3Com 905B-TX On W98SE, DX 7.0a, PD 5.52
          Abit BE6-2 (Rev 2.), P3-1000E@1050(10x105/3), 768mb Kingston 7.5ns CAS3, G400MAX, SBLIVE, AHA 2940AU, IBM GXP75 60Gb (*2), IBM IBM GXP75 45Gb, Mitsumi FX48, Yamaha 4416S, Zyxel Prestige 200, 3Com 905C-TX On W98SE Lite, DX 8.1, PD 6.82

Comment

I have 98/2K dual boot on the same partition.

-bit messy i know but it saves duplicating a lot of software.

I did have a driver that would read/write to an NTFS drive from a FAT32 one.
            Right now i can only find a read-only driver.

If I could get one then 2K could have its own partition..
            Perhaps if I can get a G400 2K driver i can boot 98 out the window....

--
            Just a few thoughts
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Paddy:

Please stop whining about your non-functional Win2k driver and post a new thread asking for help making your machine work. If you don't have full functionality under Win2k there is something wrong with your machine, your config, or both.

- Gurm

P.S. I'm not just being mean, he has been posting like this in other threads as well.

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm, I think he meant that Windows would go on that 2GB drive and your other stuff goes on, say, your D: drive. That's the way my drive is set up. One 1GB FAT16 partition for Windows, and a 16GB FAT32 partition for my other stuff.

------------------
                Intel P3-550
                Abit BX6 Rev.2
                Crucial PC100 256MB RAM (128MBx2)
                Quantum Fireball KA Plus 18.2GB
                Promise Ultra66
                Kenwood 52X TrueX
                3Com Courier Analog V.Everything
                Diamond MX300
                Matrox G400MAX
                Cambridge Soundworks Microworks system
                Sony 19" 400PS

Comment

TTCharon:

"Who needs more than 2GB on your system drive?"

Have you been USING Windows for long? Hmm? With a 2GB system drive, I'd be operational for about 20 minutes.

- Gurm

P.S. I use 100% NTFS now, if it matters. Heh.

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Liquid Snake... Thank God, at least someone understands..

Not like You, Gurm, Hehehe

By system drive, I meant the OS drive. If you check my signature you'll notice that I have several disks. One of them is a small 4.3Gb WD. That's not because I have fetisch for loving small disks. That's because it's the perfect disk for 2*2GB partitions.
                    See, I use BootManager to switch between WIN98SE & W2KPRO. 2 Gigs each.
                    Why do I only use 2 Gigs? Because only the OS related progs & Utils resides there!
                    Why? Because i scratch my system (OS) at least once a month or when some stupid prog & driver F%&/'s it up!. I use Ghost, so all I have to do is wait 3-4 minutes and then I'm back to a perfect working system..

And by the way, like Liquid Snake, I too have all other 'data' on other disks with FAT32.

PS. hehehe I'm using NTFS on W2K too, Hehehe!

------------------
                    Abit BH6, P3-600E@800(6x133), 128mb MCT 8ns CAS3, G400MAX(OC'ed 110%), SBLIVE, AHA 2940AU, WDC 4.3, WDC 6.4, IBM GXP34 20.5, Mitsumi FX48, Yamaha 4416S, Zyxel Prestige 100IH, 3Com 905B-TX On W98SE, DX 7.0a, PD 5.52
                    Abit BE6-2 (Rev 2.), P3-1000E@1050(10x105/3), 768mb Kingston 7.5ns CAS3, G400MAX, SBLIVE, AHA 2940AU, IBM GXP75 60Gb (*2), IBM IBM GXP75 45Gb, Mitsumi FX48, Yamaha 4416S, Zyxel Prestige 200, 3Com 905C-TX On W98SE Lite, DX 8.1, PD 6.82

Comment

Working...
                    X