Lock ups! Plz help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock ups! Plz help!

I have a major problem with my system! It happens when I play 3D games (D3D or OpenGL) and it also happened once while watching a .AVI movie (using DiVX codec). The image is frozen and the sound loops. The only way to close to restart the computer is to use the switch on back (not the "regular" one on the front). Plz help I am going to be crazy if I cannot solve this problem! The problem occured playing Need for Speed High Stakes, Demolition Racer, SW Ep1 Racer, Soldier of Fortune...

Internet browsing, 2D games (at least Silver) and Unreal Tournament in D3D are rock stable (so far).

I have Athlon 750
    Asus K7V, I used the Via 4-in-1 4.20, the updated AGP 4.02 and the updated inf (running AGP1X)
    Matrox G400 DH 32 megs, I use PDesk 4.41, IRQ11 and no sharing
    SB Live Value, Lastest drivers, Liveware 3
    Win98 SE with the windows update

I guess you're using PD5.41 and not 4.41 ...

Maybe you have a heat problem. Try to leave the case open and see if it still locks up.
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Could be a heat problem - although the fact that Unreal Tournament runs fine in Direct 3D would seem to question that theory.

Actually if you want to check the heat theory - do as Maggi says - but in addition to this - if you have a hairdryer lying around (as everyone does of course!) you may try blowing this (on the cold setting of course!) over the card while the computer is running the programs that make it crash.

This may sound a little bizarre - but I once had a Guillemot TNT2 Ultra that had a heat problem, and the hairdryer was a quick and free way of diagnosing the problem (of course after this I bought an extra fan - you can't run with a hairdryer sticking out of your case all of the time - people will take one look and think you're bonkers).

I can't really suggest much else except the normal troble shooting porocedures i.e checking for IRQ conflicts, reinstalling the drivers etc.
      What do you want a signature for?

Comment

Yeah Pdesk is 5.41

I tried running with the case open and it is still the same problem. It doesn't seem to be so hot anyway (no o/c).

My power supply is 250W, could it be the problem?

Comment

Update...

I looked at AMD list of recommanded Power Supplies. Mine is a Deer DR-250ATX (250W), not in the list. But in the list they have the Deer DR-300ATX (300W). Is it possible that my PS is not "strong" enough? Would it to that kind of lock-ups? I know nothing about PS but since it happens when I do CPU intensive stuff I guess it could be the problem? The only thing that is bothering me is UT... Why does UT is working well but not the other games?

I'd like to hear the comments of people that have some "experience" with ps plz. Thx

Damien, I will try the hairdryer.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my system that was memory related. When I was running PC133 CAS3 memory set at CAS2, games would freeze with a continuos sound loop after 5 or 10 minutes. I exchanged the memory for real CAS2 and the problem went away.

Comment

Could be the power supply - I've heard of problems like this related to a lack of power - when you switch your card over to 3D it will consume more power - so maybe this is the problem. The only way to confirm this would be to borrow/buy a 300W supply and try it out.
              What do you want a signature for?

Comment

I have used the Deer 250W power supply on my SD-11 w/ Athlon 650 without any problems. Have since gone to Antec 300W power supply and really no changes in how it runs as compared to the Deer 250W. I wouldn't buy a 300W power supply just yet.

Comment

Hi Jedi,

I know exactly how you feel. I get bad lockups on games too with my G400 32mb (standard). I have an AMD recommended Enlight 250W PSU. Ive tried LOADS of things and I still havent really sorted it after about 4 months trying!!
                  The only thing I read about was some mobos have trouble supplying a steady 3.3v to the AGP slot, especially when under stress, which it would be during games.
                  Could be time to upgrade my mobo already! (I only bought it in February!!)

Just to warn you, Ive tried all the recommended "fixes" and have got nowhere!!
                  Good luck,
                  Mark...

Comment

I also had problems with my Athlon system using SD-11 mobo until I upgraded my generic PC100 memory to an FIC recommended brand (128 MB Apacer PC133).

Comment

Working...
                    X