Sound glitches caused by hardware acc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound glitches caused by hardware acc

I've had sound glitches with my SB Live for a while now, and at first I figured it was some stupid IRQ conflict or something.

The problem occurs when there is a lot of change visually onscreen, the sound gets little glitches. For example, playing games is horrible, due to all the visual activity.

However, I just played a game in Software mode, and there were NO audio glitches. It was REALLY clear.

So... I was wondering, have any of you had a similar problem? Sound glitches when using hardware acceleration?

PII 300, 128MB RAM, G400 MAX, SBLive. Any other info avail at request.

I am not sure that I have exactly the same problem, but I listen to mp3's mostly (even during Q3A).
    I have only AC97 sound card (no normal drivers for Vortex2 for W2K still), but yes! When I run WhiteCap or G-Force plugin I begin getting sound gliches (sometimes!).
    But I think that's not Matrox fault.
    BTW, the same thing happens when you try to redirect winamp stream to DirectX.

I have ASUS K7V, G400 DH 32Mb, W2K Pro
    Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Is this just the sound, or do you mean music?
      If the latter, check your CD-ROM drive's speed. When I had anything below my Asus 50 speed CD-ROM drive I would have music glitches in games.

Also check if your CD-ROM reads ahead or not. If it does, try to set read-ahead to the maximum (quad-speed or higher in Win98) and the caching to the minimum.

Jorden.

Jordâ„¢

Comment

My guess is that it´s a DirectSound related problem, or at least a DirectX one.

Comment

I would go with your guess Alec, there are some issues with the SBLive under DX7 - apparently it doesn't offer full hardware acceleration - DX8 will - so hopefully this will fix the problems.
          What do you want a signature for?

Comment

In the last couple of days (in Maximum PC perhaps), I read that a similar problem had been traced to an EPOX motherboard.

Comment

Could you describe the problem in a little bit more detail because I have a SB Live! on and Epox SS7 board and I have noticed no problems. One thing to check for is to make sure that the SB Live! card is not sharing it's IRQ.

Joel
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
              X