Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fast+stable+cheap solution for 600-700mhz cpu + g400max ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The G400 and the G200 for that matters will only do DME mode AGP. They are the only manufacturer to do so.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Maggi writes:
      "The difference is that DiME is capable of actually using the AGP memory for directly using it, where DMA has to transfer it first to its local (onboard) RAM."

and Joel writes:
      The G400 and the G200 for that matters will only do DME mode AGP.

Okay, so in DiME mode, the AGP speed is independent of the system RAM speed? The reason I ask is that according to an article on <a href="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q1/000214/agp-02.html" >Tom's Hardware Page</a>, you need PC133 memory to run AGP 4X.

I have a 4X-capable G400 on my KA7 with 128Meg + 64Meg of generic PC100 memory, and the fastest I can get is AGP 2X, even with forcing the AGPFallback in the registry and the latest Via AGP drivers installed in turbo mode. If the DiME mode doesn't care about the system memory, then upgrading to 256Meg PC133 won't get me to 4X.

One last question about the AGP aperture size: I'm running a 64Meg aperture with my system memory at 192Meg. How does the aperture size affect the AGP speed if the G400 uses DiME AGP mode only?

Not that I'm complaining about 2X DiME mode, it's just that I want to know if I can squeeze the most out of my system with the components running the advertised speeds -- stably ;-).

Thanks for the help,

Jamey

Comment

Working...
      X