Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help with IRQ conflicts, in Win2k ACPI mode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with IRQ conflicts, in Win2k ACPI mode.

I need some help if you have time. I just setup my new motherboard
    and processor, a abit BH6 Rev 1.01 and Celeron 300a@450, Thx again Kruzin
    for the processor I flasjed the mobo with the latest acpi compliant bios
    from abit and win2k installed in ACPI mode. Well when I install the G400
    drivers, latest betas, I get either a lockup or garbled screen which means
    the G400 is sharing and I checked the IRQs and yes it is. I need some
    advice, I need to leave USB enabled because my printer and digicam use USB,
    I disabled the LPT1 port already and now the G400 is sharing IRQ7 with two
    other things even without the drivers installed. Any ideas? here is my IRQ
    list. I really dont feel like reinstalling win2k again in standard pc mode
    if I can help it. thx PR-man

IRQ Number Device
    9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    7 Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
    7 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    7 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    13 Numeric data processor
    6 Standard floppy disk controller
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    5 Diamond SupraExpress 56i Voice V.90
    14 Primary IDE Channel
    15 Secondary IDE Channel

------------------
    Win2k rocks!!! Now if only my chipset was not VIA !!!!!!!!
    Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Win2k is using the same IRQ for all PCI-Devices including AGP in ACPI mode except for IDE.

And the G400 isn't the problem when sharing IRQs, I'm using a ASUS K7V(VIA chipset) with a G400Max, Terratec DMX, WinTV, Promise Ultra66 and Fritz ISDN all on the same IRQ and had no problems yet!

have you done a clean install? if not - do it, win2k hates changes in hardware

Helmchen

Comment

By the way, what is this "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" stuff? If I'm not mistaken, it should read "Millenium G400 English" or something like that. Looks like your video driver may not be installed correctly.

(I've been wrong before)

Comment

Your right Brian - just checked my resources under system information, and it does indeed shot Matrox G400 Max English. It's possible that PR-man might have does this in order to get into windows in the first place. However, if this isn't the case, I suggest that he might try installing the drivers in safe-mode, I don;t know whether or not this will work, but it's certainly worth a try.
        What do you want a signature for?

Comment

your right it that because after i installed the g400 driver i could not get into system information without a lockup to copy the IRQs well now I have an update. I switched around my cards etc, now the g400 is still on IRQ7 and sharing with the sblive and the USB, but it it not locking up like before. However I noticed that when I run a game in agp2x mode, after about 5 mins UT locked up with looping souynd and rainbow snow, but if I force agp 1x, it plays fine with no lockups. Am I really losing that much not using AGP2x?

------------------
          Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

No Eaves, even in Win2k you won't find much of a difference between AGP 1x and 2x.

I think your ACPI implementation is working against you. Although a VIA board isn't that good in utilizing IRQs anyway

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden Im not using a VIA board anymore, im using a abit BH6 rev 1.01 which is the 440BX chipset

------------------

Comment

I've been searching in this group for a while and this is exactly what I encountered with Win2k, maybe we are stuck with agp1x forever....

Comment

Well I fixed the problem by reinstalling Win2k and selecting Standard PC, Now all my IRQs are fine and I am running agp 2x with no lockups. Here are my IRQs,

IRQ Number Device
                  7 Matrox Millennium G400 - English
                  5 Diamond SupraExpress 56i Voice V.90
                  14 Primary IDE Channel
                  15 Secondary IDE Channel
                  10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                  11 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
                  1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
                  4 Communications Port (COM1)
                  3 Communications Port (COM2)
                  6 Standard floppy disk controller
                  8 System CMOS/real time clock
                  13 Numeric data processor
                  12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

[This message has been edited by PR-man (edited 01 June 2000).]

Comment

You should try to get the G400 on IRQ9, everything else seems fine.

Comment

ok How could I do that? does it lose performance or something if its less than 9?

------------------
                      Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

hehe well I should have kept my mouth shut LOL, I just had desktop corruption and had to reboot. Forcing AGP1x fixed the problem as usual. I disabled pci steering but the G400 still wants to stick to IRQ7, any way to force it to IRQ9? I tried to change its resource settings but they are greyed out

------------------
                        Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

This can be done in the bios setup. If you can't assign an IRQ directly you might be able to assign IRQ7 to 'legacy ISA' or something like that to force the bios to use IRQ9 for the G400.

And yes it might decrease the performance if you use an IRQ lower than 9. They don't use busmastering and have a different trigger method, which the G400 does not support.

[This message has been edited by Hunsow (edited 01 June 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                          X