New VIA Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VIA Drivers

So, do these new VIA drivers help us out at all in the struggle to use our G400's to the best of their ability??

I was going to try them tonight and wondered what kind of experiences other people have had..

Specifically the new 4-in-1 v4.22 and the new AGP 4.03 drivers.

amish

[This message has been edited by Electric Amish (edited 02 June 2000).]
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Well, I'll try that tonight, Amish, Just wondering, I know people hiss at 3dmark scores but with K7V/Athlon 900/G400Max 5.41, Via 4.02 i'm getting about 3000 3dmarks.

Does this sound... reallylow to you?

------------------
    Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
    Asus P3BF 1003.A - P3-500 - G400Max
    256MB 6NS - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Hello... my name is ami. and this is my signature.

Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
    Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
    1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
    200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
    Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
    768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Depends, what resolution did you run the test at and what speed of processor do you have??

My athlon at 805mhz and my G400 overclocked to 300mhz PLL gets about 3300 on the default benchmark (with the 4.02 AGP and 4.20 4-in-1's)

So, you're not far off.

amish
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

It was the default benchmark...

900mhz processor.... Should be better than that, no? :|

Any suggestions? PCIlist says my board can't do AGP transfers.
        Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
        Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
        1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
        200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
        Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
        768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

You may want to check out some of the news post at www.amdzone.com for the latest on these. It seems that there has been a couple of reports of corrupted registries with the new 4in1.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Got the new drivers installed and everything seems to be working fine.

Joel

PS: Electric Amish, What struggle are you talking about?

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 03 June 2000).]

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

yes-i have k7m and new via drivers corrupted my registry.freakin pissed me off!!!

------------------
              IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!

IT'S NEVER FAST ENOUGH!

Comment

Doh Via strike again.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It apparently is an installation problem. I've installed the busmastering driver (twice now) *manually* without corrupting my registry, although I've had some other bizzare problems. If I run Quake3's Demo001 benchmark, I get about a 40% drop in performance over what it should be. It took me two installs of Windows to figure out that if I leave the game and then restart it, without rebooting, my scores return to what they should be.

Once I install the new drivers, the problem becomes permanent. Uninstalling them and reinstalling old drivers doesn't seem to help.

This is with an Asus P3V4X, a PIII 600E @ 800 MHz, a Turtle Beach Vortex 2-based soundcard, and a GeForce DDR.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I installed those AGP 4.03 drivers tonight on my w2k box. Well, reboot 'n stuff went fine. But when I checked the driver version for the AGP, it said "Driver provider: Microsoft"! Apperently, the installer wasn't capable of installing at all!
                    However, when I did change/update driver in the device manager, I was able to install the via drivers. W2k works, unreal works so I guess it's ok.

So, I suggest you check your driver! To get there: control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> System devices -> VIA CPU to AGP controller. Open the properties, and check the driver-tab. It should said "Driver provider: VIA technologies and NOT microsoft.

Btw, I used the stand-alone AGP installer, not the 4-in-1.

Comment

Randy,

Did updating in the Device Manager change your performance? I noticed that I will get AGP 2x (according to PowerStrip) in Win2K, while I get AGP 4x in Win98SE. I don't notice a performance difference, but I am wondering if using the new VIA driver will bump it up to AGP 4x without stability issues.

Comment

Randy, checked mine and it showed Microsoft as the provider as well. Tried to manually update the driver, but when I pointed it to the viagart.inf file it said the file contained no info about this device. Any ideas?

------------------
                        ASUS P3V4X,Celeron 366@555, 2.25v, 128mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 10GB, 4.3GB Fujistu, Creative 24x, Creative X-Gamer, D-Link NIC, ISA Modem

Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

SeanTek: I've a G200, so I don't have AGP 4x. And I have a MVP3, so I don't have AGP 2x as well <g> I haven't done any benchmarking, and since I only run W2k game-speed isn't my first priority.

Rick: weird.. Have you selected the correct directory (win2k/win98?). I can't think of any other things right now..

Comment

Mine did the same a Rick's.

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

So did mine--in Windows 98se.

Paul
                              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 04 June 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X