Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA - Matrox Users Asylum

*I learned the hard way so you don't have to*

After I finish this, and get my system running for reals, I'm gonna put up a page for KX133/VIA users - I found some solutions out there that were VERY hard to track down.

If anyone has anything they want to contribute, ESPECIALLY *HARD TO FIND FIXES*, the thing you just 'searched all over for and finally found', like, say, Sony headphones conflict with your G400's fan on a VIA board unless you set the "wienerbastard_level=4" flag in the registry, please email me!

foxyviolet@hotmail.com

I want to put this page up to help folks, so please help me help you!

Information is power, information should be shared, share the power, feel the love, share the dream!

=========================
    Asus K7V - 900 Mhz Athlon
    PC133 256mb, MGA G400-MAX
    and lots of toasty crisps
    =========================

------------------
    Ami Y. Koriuchi - foxyviolet@hotmail.com
    Asus P3BF 1003.A - P3-500 - G400Max
    256MB 6NS - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

Hello... my name is ami. and this is my signature.

Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
    Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
    1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
    200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
    Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
    768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

ami,
    Someone else attempted the same thing,only to bring the Via bashers out in full force.
    Some useful info was posted however,so let the positive points shine through and hopefully some people can gather some info.
    http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/008664.html

Comment

Damsel in distress...

Just never expect a quick answer in your email box

Sorry Ami... you have my undivided help if you need me. Just yell !!

Jord.

edit: I would edit my sig if I were you

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 03 June 2000).]
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ironically, I've been having a major battle with my Asus P3V4X (VIA Apollo Pro 133A) and the new VIA drivers today. It's past 1:00 AM in the morning and I'm on my third install of Windows.

I think we can keep things civil, and VIA users can provide constructive information.

Ami, another place you might want to check out is alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus. It's a very active group, although I find people a bit smarter here.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 03 June 2000).]

Comment

A quick question for VIA users. When you update drivers, do you uninstall previous drivers? I have been, but I suspect some stuff is being left in the registry.

Another question for VIA users using both AMD and VIA CPU's with VIA's *newer* chipsets: have you had any luck with the new AGP driver and 4in1's.

I've seen some really bizarre behaviour with a non-Matrox videoboard, although the new 4in1's didn't trash my registry, which has been happening a lot, apparently.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Oh Man!
            I must be a boy born some lucky day, because I never had problems with VIA Chipsets or AMD CPU's. I friend has the same combo as you Ami(aehm, isn't that a "girl" name in USA? NO it is my BIOS' NAME )!), he has bought an Athlon 700 with silver plate (yes, it's a real 900'er!) oc'ed it to 900, using the same board as you do and everything runs just fine.

Mega "theluckyboy"

K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

... I guess I need to find someone named Phoenix then. But I don't know of anyone named Award.

hmmm. Well my problems are minimizing, this is true. My performance is still lagging. Yada yada, yada. It "feels" more stable today than it did yesterday.

-ami (um. yes. you're right about the name. )

[This message has been edited by PurpleHaze (edited 03 June 2000).]
              Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
              Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
              1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
              200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
              Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
              768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Which OS are you running?

Are you planning on using DualHead and/or multi-monitor on the box?

How many AGP GARTS have you downloaded from VIA's web site? :-)

I had my G400 MAX running stable on my Asus P3V4X board. The performance was a bit bursty, but it worked. Winblows 98SE, Millennium II, The 4.17 AGP GART (3.56 version), PD 5.30, TurbloGL 1.3, and an AGP Apeture of 256MB. I could never finish 3D Mark 2000's 64MB texture test, but my games ran.

Just my $0.02
                The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

paul, there isn't really anything to be left in the registry when you update the drivers. The .inf files used for the updates have been the same for a long time (except for the AGP, which added Sideband with 4.0 and "oem version" with 4.02), so the only thing changing when you update should be the actual drivers being overwritten (which depends on which ones you install, obviously). And very little info is placed in the registry by the driver updates - the name of the driver is usually about it. The "ACPI registry" patch is just adding info usually found in the machine.inf file directly into the registry, shouldn't hurt anything if it gets left behind.

------------------
                  "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."
                  "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

I think mine is running stable now. One thing I did find out is that, at least for the 4.22 4-in-1 drivers from VIA, I had to have them unzipped in a folder on the root drive. If I had them in a folder on my desktop, I got "cannot open this file" errors upon installing.

My System:

Abit KA7 (ry.b00 beta bios) (4.22 and 4.03 VIA Drivers)
                    Athlon 700 @ 805
                    Alpha P7125 HS/Fan
                    256mb Mushkin Infineon PC133
                    Maxtor DiamondMax 40 20gb ATA/66 HD
                    G400 32mb SH Vanilla (5.52 drivers with the 5.41 ICD)
                    Aureal SQ2500 Sound Card
                    E-Tech 56kbps winmodem
                    Ovislink "Realtek" 8139ATX 10/100 NIC
                    AOpen 52x IDE CD-ROM
                    CasEdge 734 ATX Case w/ Sparkle 300W PS
                    Windows 98SE

I'm playing Q3 at 1024x768 and it looks good to me. Playing Asheron's Call online and all's well. Rogue Spear is really nice at 1280x1024.

amish

[This message has been edited by Electric Amish (edited 06 June 2000).]
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

With the Via 4in1 Drivers,I reccommend installing them all,EXCLUDING busmastering,as windows does a better job.
                      Seems a lot of problems can arise when the busmastering(Via)drivers are installed.
                      For your consideration.
                      As far as uninstalling Via 4in1's prior to reinstalling,tried it both ways,uninstalling and reinstalling has buggered my system a couple of times,so now,just uninstall the AGP driver prior to installing the new one,and leave the others alone!

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 07 June 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X