Matrox G400, 2x or 4x AGP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G400, 2x or 4x AGP?

I used to be a g200 owner until a over a year ago when i bougth my vanilla G400, It was difficult to get the hands on one and impossible to get the hands o a G400 MAX (wich I wanted..). I recently bougth a new asus K7V to get use of the 4x wich matrox was supposed to support.
    Today I saw i a magazine that 4x card have their slot in three pieces and the 2x was in two, If I don't remember wrong my card had two-pieced connectors.
    Was the first cards of G400 only made for 2x or am I wrong?
    I know that it's not supposed to be a big differance between 2x and 4x but it bothers me anyway!
    BTW, Matrox did a he** of a job when they presented the G400, but it's sad that it'll take a whole year before you can get proper drivers for the card (just like g200), but pd5.52 and never seems very,very finished.
    Now, they've made the same mistake again and falled behind (just like with g200 ), I mean with gforce and so forth, I doubt that G450 will be even close the speed that a gforce gt2 have and that a pain in the a**!
    The world need the G800 now and matrox too so they can SLAM all the other manufacturers on their fingers once again!!!

I'll be waiting for their masterpiece, but many others probably won't..
    my machine:

Athlon 700
    192 Mb RAM
    removable seagate 6.5 GB
    western 10.2 GB
    G400 (oc @ 150/200 hey, I wanted a MAX!!)
    DVD-rom
    Logitech force wheel (pretty cool..)
    Crap(sound)blaster PCI64
    (I'm getting a aureal sq A3d card in few days, Woohoo!!)
    - never owned any graphicscard but MATROX, and never will -
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Yes you are right about the slotage on the AGP connector being the deciding factor on AGP4x or x2...
    But the Box said that the Matrox was 4x compatible, not that it was an AGP4x card, but I know that kinda technicality doesn't make you feel any better...

The PD6 drivers are VERY good.. take a look see, very polished.. everyone seems to have had improvements, even VIA owners report little to no problems...

BTW on the G800, read this thread it may be right it may not... looks promising.. sounds right to my ears.....

Craig

[This message has been edited by Stringy (edited 29 June 2000).]
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Working...
    X