Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Media Player 7 (win2k 5.10 beta & MAX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Media Player 7 (win2k 5.10 beta & MAX)

All I have to say is this is one feature-filled application that needs some major performance tweaks. I tried playing a MP3 w/ visualization full screen and it totally locked up my machine (couldnt CTRL+ALT+DEL or anything).

Also, I always seem to be getting skips every 20 seconds or so and it really takes the fun out of watching/listening to my media.

What are you experiences with WMP7 on Windows 2000 Professional?

• Box 2:
    • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
    • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
    • memory: 32 MB
    • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

No such probs here. I have G400SH 16MB and SBLive running Liveware 3 for Win2K on win2KPro. The only problem I have with it is that it breaks between tracks on a CD even if there is no break between songs. Oh and I have crappy VIA MVP3 Chipset mobo. (with 4in1v22 and AGP403 and Usbf108)
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Runs fine here. Liveware 3.0 for win2k, K7 700, G400 DH 32 Mb.

Comment

be careful when you install the media player 7 don't install the Adaptec CD plug in if you use DirectCD because this plug in overwrite a dll called cdrtc.dll and my DirectCD doesn't work anymore !!
        Thanks M$ and Adaptec

Comment

I let Windows Update do the install and there were no options. I just checked and I have an updated cdrtc.dll file. I now have v2.5 (089), is that what you've got? I've had DCD problems for weeks so I'm hoping this might actually fix it (hah!). I'll give a format a try.

P.S. This was on Win98.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 19 July 2000).]
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

2.5.0.89 is the version installed by Mediaplayer, not compatible with DirectCD

2.5.0.87 is the Adaptec file

Comment

Well my DCD format froze half-way through with the 2.5.0.89 version. Before, it would at least complete the process before it mangled the disc. How did you guys correct this? Did you simply reinstall DCD? What DCD version are you running? I'm on 2.5d. I haven't seen anything on Microsoft or Adaptec web-sites that address this issue.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hi xortam. I haven't noticed this problem yet (I've got the EZCD Creator 4.0 Deluxe package and DCD 3.01). Of course, that's not to say that I won't, as I haven't had to use DCD since installing the latest Media Player.

In any case, if my memory isn't completely gone (and it might be, hehe), this has been brought up elsewhere, though I don't remember where. (that's why I don't know about the memory. ) The solution I remember reading was simply to uninstall the Adaptec software, then reinstall it and the patches for it. Supposedly cures the problem and leaves MP7 working fine, too.

------------------
                Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600
                AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Now I remember where I saw this info- I'm subscribed to the Adaptec CD-R software list-serv (check on their site for how to get into it if you're interested), and one of the moderators posted a message on this topic to preempt this exact questions from other members of the list.

Maybe the memory isn't that bad after all.

------------------
                  Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Thanks Ace, I already subscribe to that listserv. I went back and checked the digest from last night and also noticed this announcement. Guess I'll have to try and burn a CD directly from WMP 7. I haven't been able to burn a CD w/ DCD 2.5a, 2.5d or ECDC 3.5c in months (used to work). I spent the last couple of weeks trying all sorts of things and am getting desperate to do a backup. Decided to forgo it for now and set up my ultimate solution, network backup, with my DAT in my old PC (won't work in new PC?). WMP 7 apparently will only burn an audio CD so it won't help me with a backup. Eventually, I'll try other packet writing SW to hopefully rule out the burner.

The WMP 7 fix mentioned on that listserv is for W2K (vs. my Win98) and its a different symptom using different versions of the burner SW. Sounds like the remedy (uninstall, reinstall, patch) would be the same for what I experienced, as I expected. Won't solve my pre-existing problem. Wonder what this reinstall fix does to WMP 7's ability to burn? Think I'll try WMP 7 burning first.

Comment

I've got a G400 Dualhead 32MB and SBLive! Value running LiveWare! 3.0 on Windows 2000 professional. I already had Easy CD Creator and Direct CD installed when I attempted to install Media Player 7. I did a full install of WMP 7 and it completely screwed up my Direct CD installation. Not only does it overwrite the cdrtc.dll file, it also adds a file called cdral.dll to the WINNT/system32 directory. I called Adaptec's support line and the technician confirmed that installing WMP 7 over an exisitng Direct CD install will hose everything up. The best way to correct the problem is to go to the control panel and uninstall the Adaptec burner plug-in component for WMP 7, uninstall Direct CD, and then re-install Direct CD (with patches). I'm not sure whether you need to uninstall/reinstall Easy CD creator. The Adaptec tech support guy said that the plug-in is not designed to work with machines that have the Easy CD creator suite installed already. The above mentioned procedure fixed my problems though, so all is well...

Cheers!

Eric

[This message has been edited by Manex (edited 21 July 2000).]
                      ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Working...
                      X