WinME Installation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinME Installation Problem

I tried to install the WinME upgrade over my Win98SE. It installed the files fine, restarted, checked the PNP, restarted, and the when it rebooted, it gave me a Windows Protection Error (Blue Screen). I could only boot to Safe Mode (the computer would hang after starting WinME).

I uninstalled the ME, and noticed that in WIN98 now, my Windows Explorer is missing. The link in my taskbar is gone, as is the link in Start/Programs.

Any suggestions on either problem?

My Setup:
    Asus P2B-B
    Celeron 566 @ 850
    128 MB SDRAM (2x64)
    Matrox G400 Dual Head
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300
    Jaton ISA modem (Rockwell chip)
    CD-ROM, floppy, etc.

------------------
    JLiger99

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."
    Sherlock Holmes - The Boscombe Valley Mystery
    JLiger99

Upgrading 9x's are definetly not a good idea. ALWAYS do a clean install. If you cannot do a format because you have program that you do not have backed up then don't worry about uprading to a new OS and BACKUP all of your data. Don't play around with new os's until you get your data backed up. Losing GIGS of data is a pain in the a**.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Dunno how this applies to Matrox hardware....

But anyways, as DosFreak said, definitely do a clean install. The upgrade routine for WinME is already known to have some issues. And don't even begin to imagine that an uninstall routine does a clean job either.

Not trying to say the same stuff over again, but I can't emphasize how important it is for you to backup your data and do a clean install. That's the only way to do it really.

Not to be too much of a pessimist, but don't expect a clean install of ME to work perfectly either. ME can be rather picky about hardware. Not sure about your particular config, though.

Good luck.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by spoogenet:
        Dunno how this applies to Matrox hardware....b
        I had read a review of WinME that said upgrading with a G400 was a problem. I thought if I posted here, someone else might have had the same thing happen to him/her, so I thought it was a video card problem...

------------------
        JLiger99

JLiger99

Comment

Geee.......it has been a long long time before I came and posted anything here...and after a year, I am still just a mini MURCer....probably because Matrox did their work making the drivers less buggy since 5.5x

Anyway, since there's already something wrong with your system, try if you could at least get the WinME installed again.

Maybe you have MGATweak or something tweaking your video card that run when you boot up? If so, then try this:

Boot into safe mode, remove those tweak utilities (or at least prevent them from starting up automatically when the system boots), reboot, get into normal mode and install Matrox drivers, reboot, then restore those utilities...

Hope that works.

[This message has been edited by chihuang (edited 21 September 2000).]
          I want the T&L in my G400!

Comment

Working...
          X