What PCI card has the best 2D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What PCI card has the best 2D?

I'm weighing my options. Would a G400 SH and a G200 PCI offer comparable perfomance to that of a G400MAX/G450?

I just read a thread claiming problems with two G-series cards in the same computter. If you have a better idea LMK.

I think the best combination would be a G400 DH and a G200 pci, specially if you use win2k.

If you´re using win9x, a G400/450 would be enough, as it offers multimonitor support like 2 separate video cards (although G400 2nd output is limited to 1280x1024@85Hz, I think)

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Why not a G400 or G400 MAX?

The second display on my G400 MAX has always been able to do 1280x1024 at 75hz (I don't know why they say 60). At 1280x960, it's fine.

You'd want a G400 over a two-card solution if you do a lot of work that spans both displays. The G400 does the frame buffer copying on the card, as opposed to across the PCI bus. After using a G400 MAX and Millennium II, I'd rather have a single G400 MAX. Moving windows from one display to the other is signifigantly faster than with the dual card combination.

If you need 1600x1200, then a G450's probably what you want. You'll want to look closely at the specs on those PCI cards you're considering - very few will do 32bit color at 1600x1200. Most of the G200 line will do 24bit color at higher resolutions, but only the Millennium G200, which did NOT come in a PCI version, will do 1600x1200 at 32bit color.

If you're looking for a PCI card that'll do 1600x1200 at 32bit, you'll probably want to find the Millennium G250. Good luck. It was OEM only, if I recall correctly.
        The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Greebe: Now if there was only a G450pci. Hmmm
          NDA's are a pain sometimes, Mike.

Scooter: Greebe, above, is under NDA so he's trying to behave I'm not, so here's some additional info for you. According to information in the latest driver release there will be a PCI version of the 450... including dual head

From Liquid Snake:

Didn't install them yet, but I scanned through some of the files to see if there was anything interesting...Also:

Matrox Marvel G450 eTV
          Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead
          Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead DVI
          Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead DVI PCI
          Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead LE
          Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead PCI
          The above quote is from this thread:
          http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/009460.html

When it's finally out, at the low prices being hinted at, you may be on to a really knocked out solution.

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 30 September 2000).]
          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

This is such a better solution than the expensive and rare G200 MM boards. Octuple head......
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Damn, you boys know your shiznit!

Wow, I think I've found a new place to lurk.

Comment

Be welcome

Comment

Now if there was only a G450pci. Hmmm
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X