This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max, Linux-Mandrake 7.1 and XFree86 4.0.1

I need to know first how to get Linux-Mandrake to recognize my g400 as a G400 Max and NOT the regular g400 16 meg card. Also, I am having problems upgrading to XFree86 4.0.1. First, what is the best kernel to use with it, what is the EXACT procedure AFTER it has been installed (XFree86 -configure and all that) because its driving me crazy. Everytime I upgrade, It absolutely refuses to go into graphics mode. I know one problem is the fact that the Font Server crashes, and during installation, the fonts refuse to write over the old fonts. Any help would be great.....
    Thanks in advance

George

Post this in Alternative Lifestyles forums. I'm sure they'll have a answer for you.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The line "Videoram 32768" will signify that you have 32MB of RAM. Stick it in the G400's section of your XF86Config file. For a dualhead config example, head over to matrox.com/mga and grab the linux driver - there's a sample in there.

Speed is the only difference between the vanilla 32MB dualhead G400 and the MAX, so you don't explicitly need to tell it anything.

Comment

Yes the only differnece is the speed, but unfortunately the built-in XFree86 4 Matrox driver usually underclocks the video card. So if you want to play with games it can be very interesting...

DarkstarG: first of all you need the latest 2.4.0 kernel because it contains some optimization for DRI and AGP... Without that kernel you can't use the DRI in XFree4. After that you need the Matrox driver for XFree4. You can download it from the Matrox' website. I think that's all waht you need...

Comment

yeah fine, but I am totally new to linux and have no idea how to compile yet. Also, I have tried every version of ftreex86 4.0.1 and no matter what I do, I cant get it to work. What i need are 'exact, down to ALL the details' instructions to get all this working. Because no matter what I do, the Xserver just wont work at all......

George

Comment

Relocated to the Alternative Lifestyles (Linux/Beos/etc.) forum.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
            X