Hibernate problem with Win2k, G200 and 5.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernate problem with Win2k, G200 and 5.14

Just made a fresh install of win2k on a G200 8M SD AGP.
    Win2k installed the built in Microsoft drivers then i installed the latest 5.14 certified drivers over.
    I enabled the hibernate support with 128 MB hibernate file.(suspend to disk)
    The computer goes well into the hibernate when i press the power button or when i choose hibernate from the start menu.
    However when the computer recovers from hibernate, the display is shifted by about 0.5 cm to the left of the screen which makes the 1st letters under the icones ureadble like "My Documents" which shows up as "y Documents" and of course any maximised window loose it's left border and text.
    But every thing else works as normal, i mean 2D as i didn't test 3D functionality.
    What i did is that i uninstalled the 5.14 drivers, installed the 5.03 drivers and the
    problem is gone.
    Reisntalled 5.14 over the 5.03 drivers and the problem comes back.
    Also if i make a fresh install and then install the 5.03 drivers, the problem doesn't show up.
    I remember i had the same problem with ACPI in Win98 which made me give up totaly on ACPI
    in Win98.
    But when i saw hibernate working perfectly with 5.03 drivers in Win2k .. i thought all my problems were solved.
    Now what ? the 5.14 drivers are supposed to be certified, which means they should work
    flowlessly as expected specially regarding the ACPI function.
    It's been long time since Matrox realesed a driver for the G200, and when it's out i want
    to use it as expected, specially i can't go back to the 5.03 as it lacks the monitor
    settings property sheet.
    So anyone else experienced this problem ? or know a fix for this ?
    If it is a common bug ? how should i reprot it to Matrox ?
    Any help appreciated please.
    Thanx guys and gurls and sorry for the long post and bad english

system specs:
    celeron 300A@450
    Gigabyte 6BXE with bios 3.4
    128 MB PC100 CAS3 SDRAM.
    Matrox MGA-G200 8MB SD AGP with 2.7 bios. IRQ 11
    Monitor Acer 77c with the inf file installed correctly.
    Realtek RTL8139A PCI fast ethernet adapter in PCI slot #3 IRQ 11
    SB16 PnP in last isa slot IRQ 5.
    MS ACPI-Compliant system IRQ 9.
    The USB, Realtek and G200 all share IRQ 11 but i don't think this is a problem in Win2k
    ACPI mode. and i don't use the USB.
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

anyone ?

Comment

Sorry, I can't help you with your problem. But I would like to shine some light on something you seem to be mistaken about.

Now what ? the 5.14 drivers are supposed to be certified, which means they should work
      flowlessly as expected specially regarding the ACPI function.
      Just because a driver is "certified" does NOT mean that it will work anywhere near flawlessly. The WHQL certification process uses standardized tests that do not test all the possible scenarios. While they do test much of the core functionality, they do not take everything into account. A driver can easily cause a crash, or cause numerous other problems that the certification process does not account for.

Certified drivers aren't necessarily any more or less stable than a non-certified driver. WHQL'd systems crash too. All running certified hardware with certified drivers and next to NO applications installed. Yes, those systems still experience crashes.

Thanks for your time, and sorry I can't help with your problem. Good luck, though.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

spoogenet .. thanx for the explanation .. i always thought certified drivers to be more stable and less buggy .. or at least to match the windows specs.
        anyway .. hope they can fix it soon .. the G200 is a good card and it should not be forgotten .. still alot of people using this great piece of hardware.

Comment

Normaly, that happens when you have wrong refresh rate. That is you tuned monitor for one refresh rate but after hibernation driver may set up different one.
          Very simple, might not be the case of cource. (anyway, it's not solution, just need to be sure you tried it ;-)
          Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Arsa : thanx for the suggestion pal .. i'll look into that ..

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 07 October 2000).]

Comment

Arsa : man .. you are damn right !!
              I checked the vertical and horizontal freq. through the OSD of the monitor and they were the same : 60.15kHz horizontal and 75.12 Hz vertical ; both before and after the hibernate. !?!?!?
              Then I went to the display properties and changed the refresh rate from 75 to 85 then back to 75 again .. and voila !!
              it did the trick .. the display is adjusted although the monitors reports the same freq. in both cases.
              of course it's not a full solution .. but now i know wat's goin on.
              should i set the monitor as Plug and Play ? it's now set as Acer 77c ..
              maybee the win2k doesn't detect the monitor well after hibernate ??
              I hope some one from Matrox see this and shed some light in.
              Thanx again Arsa

Comment

Working...
              X