No announcement yet.

New matrox drivers have texture compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else downloaded DX8 and used the 5.20 drivers yet? (they're available from MS now!)

It's not quake3, I know that didn't change.
    If all else fails, I'll format and reinstall once again... maybe it was a beta dx8 setting that got left in my registry.

What I can't get over is how similar this is to texture compression. I wish someone could explain that...

Comment

Ok. Let me try to explain it. When the textures are set to 16 bit, they technically are compressed. That's why it looked like they were compressed. I still stand by my original 'I didn't change my q3a settings' statement, I did have texture depth set to default. I guess just they now default to 16bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Alec:
        Randy Simmons:

P.S. hey surfwienix, shouldn´t your monitor´s refreshrate be 95Hz instead of 95Khz?
        95khz is the max. vertical frequency, from which you can calculate the refreshrates of the different resolutions.

when i write down this information, it's shorter to see what my monitor can do.
        my system:

AMD XP 2000+
        Abit KTA7 (VIA 4.49)
        512MB SDRAM133
        Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (5.91, AGP 2x)
        Windows XP Prof

Comment

the win9x 6.10 drivers fuxX0r textures in fifa2000 boohoo. Too lazy to go back to 6.04 do so in the morning
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance, surfwienix, but thanks for the info anyway...

Hey, Randy, bear in mind that a gif file is limited to 256 colors, so it sucks when it´s used for in-game screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by Alec:
              Hey, Randy, bear in mind that a gif file is limited to 256 colors, so it sucks when it´s used for in-game screenshots.
              I know. To give an impression of the game, jpeg will do. To show some image quality, use PNG since it is lossless.

But for screenshots of an application, GIF or PNG will be much better than jpeg, in both image quality and size.

Comment

Working...
              X