Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DGhost,

*sigh*

Only thing is tom didn't write the article...
    Your abosolutely correct, he only published it which results in the same thing.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I agree with Rags. The current Win2K drivers (5.31) are excellent. Performance is as good as in Win9x. Might be a few fps difference, but its not noticable to me. It's stable as well. Only problem I've run into is the refresh rate refusing to budge from 60hz. I think it was the fault of Powerstrip. Set Powerstrip to use 85hz and all was good. I don't remember Matrox promising a DVD player for Win2K. Anyway, the G450 has an updated one. And what's wrong with using another player?

I have only used a cheap ATI board in the past (Rage II 2MB), and there was no 3D to speak of, so I can't really comment on the drivers. I have never used or even touched an nVidia board.

Comment

Who's Byron?

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe:
          DGhost,

*sigh*

Your abosolutely correct, he only published it which results in the same thing.
          Very true, as it does reflect upon the site on which it is posted, but it doesn't mean he said it, or it is his attitude. My only big problem with Tom is that he takes massive amounts of advertising and as a result his articles reflect an obvious bias. And as a result he has a tendancy of grasping at straws to find fault with a product. Does that statement really indicate a fault, even trivial? I don't think anyone, nvidiot or elsewise, can fault a company for not releasing drivers 'on schedule', as they have all been subjected to it. And nvidiots have to put up with much more crap for drivers, so i don't really think its that big of a deal. Granted, phrasing could have been better, but eh.

Personally, the Windows 2000 drivers are getting much better. every driver release is a leap and a bound ahead of other products, and 2000 drivers have yet to stablize for *any* card's 3d acceleration. So Matrox is no less at fault in that area than any other manufacture. If i was a hardware reviewer right now i would slam nvidia cards so hard for having the worst driver support on the market, especially under windows 2000. But eh.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Troll,

Do a search on your nick if you want all your posted "comments". Either you deleted some, the topics were deleted, or the moderator deleted them. Hardly surprising.

Paulcs,

That's me. My name is plastered over G400Tweak, and that's where this troll got it, or he followed me here from my Amiga days or from usenet. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the person here putting me on spam lists. I don't know the guy, but the overuse of my proper name places him among a select few who like to act like that. I'm not sure what the use of it is supposed to mean or how I'm supposed to react to it, it's just odd, but then again, what isn't odd about having troll groupies.

Comment

DG,
              but it doesn't mean he said it, or it is his attitude.
              You want to try that again?! If a newspaper (magazine, etc) repeatedly printed such errors don't you think the the readship won't respond back to the Publisher/Editor, critisized for their inability to get the facts straight. Once these "issues" are repeated, will make them appear to anyone as having hidden agenda/bias going on and thus are branded accordingly.

While I realise this is me getting "picky", it is Tom's site and if that's how he wants people to percieve it/him then fine. Then I won't have any problems pointing out HIS errs!

Byron, you better talk to your ISP about their shitty setup and lack of security. Other than your mentioned means of knowing whom you are, your biggest enemy in the personal privacy wars is them!!!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Man, this forum has become less and less about tech help, and more and more about bickering over every minor detail.

I don't know how you guys found something to complain about in a review that was almost entirely favourable. I mean, there isn't any win2k support, that's a total no-no nowadays. Did you expect the reviewer to put a positive spin on it??

Personally i thought it was a pretty informative review, and anyone who is interested in DV is going to take note.
                BTW, if you're spending $1000 on hardware and you've only got win2k to date, even the $150 added cost of a full win9x still puts the RT2000 in the 'extremely good deal' category.

Comment

Sorry Himself I have nothing to do with G400Tweak or usenet or an Amiga days anything. I believe you put your name here on these forums at one time, I just try to remember people's first names and I am pretty good at remembering them. I also have nothing to do with placing your name on any spamlist.

I am sorry, but I think that rubank's comment (as usual) was a little harsh and out of place. Maybe I should have just let it go, but I don't think attacking all the forum members was a nice thing to do, especially when they hadn't chimed in. Just because one member posts something he doesn't like doesn't mean the whole lot of users here should be placed in a basket. Anyhow, I was just making light of the post, we didn't need to go after one another. What's wrong with a truly intelligent debate? You know the one where someone disagrees with a point, and someone counters their view. Without being too harsh? Unless this thread was a rant, I can see no reason for it.

Casey

----------------------------
                  Drivin' That Train

Comment

Originally posted by Rags:
                    Hi Frank,

I would have to disagree with you in regards to G400 win2k support. Matrox was the first to deliver a full set of drivers for their flagship card under win2k, and they have done well in keeping the drivers updated, and fixing bugs.
                    Okay. Where are the Whistler compatible drivers?

Comment

"Whisler" has not been released. You can't expect public drivers for an OS that is not final.
                      We heard the same thing about 2k before it was released. People whining there where no drivers for a non-public OS. Then when 2k was publicly released, Matrox was the first out the door with public drivers.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Ono Tadaki:
                        Okay. Where are the Whistler compatible drivers?

Hehehe, you aren't too bright. Whistler isn't even in a public beta right now. So what's this have to do with win2k?

Rags

Comment

Originally posted by Rags:

Hehehe, you aren't too bright. Whistler isn't even in a public beta right now. So what's this have to do with win2k?

Rags

Actually, if you are a <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/resources/subdwnld.asp">MSDN</a> subscriber, then you would have a copy of Whistler Beta 1 available for download. You wouldn't be a part of the Beta program though.

I dunno, but does that make it a public beta?

Point is, their currnet drivers don't work under Whistler, yet other vendors drivers do. You were going on about how quickly they make bug fixes, yet their current W2K drivers don't work under Whistler.

Comment

Well let me say, from many posts on the official RT2000 Forum, Matrox say that they are dedicated to releasing Win2K drivers for the RT2000 soon.

Do any of you have an RT2000?

Elie

[This message has been edited by Elie (edited 31 December 2000).]

Comment

Hi Ono,

You see the key phrase in what you just said was "WIN2K". I don't see anywhere on the sight where they say these will work under whistler, and I have never seen any claims for them to. If you are a part of Matrox's developer relations program, then I am sure you would have access to other drivers. I am sure that Matrox doesn't want to release any drivers for an OS that is in early beta, and is not even near a completed state yet. So many changes happen to an OS in the last few stages of development to be releasing a new set of drivers for each one. If you think they are ignoring whistler, you are wrong. I think they are being responsible by NOT releasing any Whistler drivers until Whistler is set in stone. I am glad they waited with Win2k drivers, because the last 4 beta builds of Win2k made significant changes that made previous drivers worthless. Can you imagine all the tech support calls from Warez kiddies complaining the the latest drivers aren't working under build 21xx when they did under build 20xx?

We have Linux support, OS/2 support, Win95 support, Win98 support, Win98 SE support, Win Me support, and Win2k support from matrox, and I am pretty sure you will see Whistler support when/if the OS is released.

Rags

Comment

Acctually, it doesn't. I know people who are MSDN subscribers through their business (large database/etc. lots of money - big subscriptions). who cannot even get it (whistler).

Also, have you tried to the other companies drivers under Whistler? Do they work well? Personally, not really. Matrox is making the right decision by not supporting a publicly available operating system - bugs the hell out of me, as i have been told by microsoft to talk to matrox, but i don't even know who to talk to. I'm pretty sure if i send a request for drivers i will be ignored because it is not publicly available software and i'm not in the matrox beta group.

So, anyways. enough rambling...
                                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                                X