X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't matrox buy/do that ?

Read it:
    http://www.bitboys.com/xba.html

I'm not looking for flames (go ahead if you want) but I think all the FPS wars we had here in the Matrox vs. nVIDIA (FPS vs. picture quality) proved in the end 1 thing, FPS couldbe counted as quality. I mean if you have the best picture quality but to play a game you have to o 640x480, well 640x480 != good quality...
    With high brandwith you can play at very high resolutions and even if your picture quality isn't so high, you'll still enjoy the game so much more.
    I've played Alice on a G400 and on a Geforce2 MX, G400 had better color reproduction while the MX had better resolution/FPS. In the 2D arena, frankly, the Millenium2 was more than enough for anyone out there.

I hope all the speculations about matrox missing the train / waiting too long and staying behind are false, SONY came out of nowhere with a wonderful 3D engine using some cool hardware tricks, we've seen PowerVR's and ATi's implementation of logical tricks to expand brandwith (HyperZ and Tile based rendering) so I assume matrox has the tools to form a combination of tricks + some new innovative features of its own to bring us a great nex-gen card.

I pray for decent drivers...

------------------
    I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

The BitBoy's team has been promising technology and stuff for years - back in the day of the voodoo 1 they claimed they had a product equvalent to a G400 in image quality and speed. Never got released or even demoed. They did go as far as to supposedly try to develop drivers for them, but it never went anywhere.

So, not to be a skeptic, but i doubt that you will see anything like that soon. Especially given their track record and the fact they supposedly canceled their product (Glaze 3d) which a year or two ago was supposedly going to be shipping (i think last year) and would beat anything, etc...

some talented engineers, i'm certain, but as far as a company goes, they are smoke and mirrors.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

They're pretty much a non-company, but remember that Matrox licensed EMBM from them.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

http://www.gamers.com/news/499791

Check the comment at the bottom from Carmack.

Bitboys is full of shit.

Ali

Comment

This is getting embarrassing:

http://www.tech-report.com/onearticle.x/1760

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I already posted this in another thread, but I'll post it again:

consider that the 'carmack has seen XBA' had relevance to 'Matrox may have solved the memory bandwidth problem completely' which was posted by Carmack in a Slashdot comment according to quite a few murcers here

That would mean that BitBoyz did license XBA to matrox for use in the G800 or a future card?

Comment

That's possible. Both compagnies are very silent about the future, so who knows?
              If Matrox indeed joint-veture'd with BitBoys to co-develop that XBA thing they might have something really nice... for gamers.

Face it, the bandwith-problem is a gamers problem. Only they suffer from it.

However, if it isn't THAT expensive to use it, then why not slap it on your (semi)professional card?

Speculations, specualtions

Comment

Working...
              X