No announcement yet.

whats with all the new driver releases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats with all the new driver releases?

Matrox has been releasing new drivers for the g4xx cards on a very regular basis at the moment. a month ago there were the 6.21's now there are the 6.23's. but whats the point of these releases? has anyone actually seen any improvments with these new drivers with the g400 or g450. could it be that matrox is wasting money and resources that could be used to develop the g800, or perhaps they are working on optimisations for the g8oo that we will see sometime in the future. who knows but i'd like to think there is something more to these seemingly pointless releases

------------------
    -------------------------
    athlon classic 666
    asus k7m @111fsb
    128mb pc100 cas 222
    g400max @ 165/220
    win98se
    pdesk 6.21
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Pentium4m 1.6
    640mb pc2100
    64mb gf440go
    15" uxga ultrasharp
    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

I suspect that it's more a case of these smaller releases fixing a number of bugs. Unfortunately there are no details of what has been fixed, but I think that on the whole, regular updates are a very good thing - I certainly wouldn't moan about it!!
    What do you want a signature for?

Comment

People used to complain about Matrox being painfully slow releasing drivers, now others complain about drivers being released every month.

Go wonder...

Comment

not all driver updates are for more speed. I think this one was just a bug fix release.

I dont know what applicatios were having trouble, it could be something as simple as a openGl screensaver fix. Personally I dont care. I always use the latest drivers, but if I wasnt happy updating them all the time I would still be using 5.52

Any and all updates are a good thing. If Matrox told us what they fixed/changed then they would be an even better thing.

Ali

Comment

Well I wouldn't complain, but I am getting performance DEcreases...

Comment

So, if performance is so big to you, then use the fastest drivers. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Rags

Comment

I think performance DEcreases are very important. We're alrady pushing our G400 and MAXs to the limit for modern games, so losing a few frames can make the differance between playable and choppy. Yeah, bug fixes are nice, but we don't when know _what_ the new drivers are supposed to fix. Maybe its just me, but when a new version of something comes out, I would expect the speed to at least stay the same, not drop.

Comment

Don't know what your problems have been but I have not noticed any slowdowns at all with the latest drivers. If fact I have seen slight increases especially in OpenGL.

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

If you haven't had any problems with the previous drivers and find the new ones slower go back.
                  Of course it would help if Matrox said what it fixed, then saying that I've seen list of fixes from a manufacture. This included the hardware and software I've got and I hadn't had the problems described.
                  If you got problems try the new ones.
                  Also you can apply the rule if it ain't broke don't fix it.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

According to http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/001285.html ... it said soon. How long?
                    Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

6.23 fixes the nasty texture corruption I was getting in MechWarrior 4 and also in Sacrifice... and I haven't found any noticeable slowdown.
                      Very nice from my perspective!

Comment

6.23 fixes the nasty texture corruption I was getting in MechWarrior 4 and also in Sacrifice... and I haven't found any noticeable slowdown.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X