Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fine-tuning/tweaking TV output of G400max to 32" JVC TV?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine-tuning/tweaking TV output of G400max to 32" JVC TV?

I can see "horizontal lines" on my 32" TV when viewing DVD's. Specifically, its the actual picture that seems to be divided, or split up into horizontal lines. As in, there is visible space, or lack of colour between those lines. Its not severe, but it is visible, mostly at the edge of the image. It is most noticable in white or light coloured areas of the picture. Its not always visible. If there is an image with a large amount of detail and fairly high contrast, then the picture looks fine. I am using an S-video cable for my connection to the TV.

Just wondering if this is normal. I know NTSC has its limitations, especially when the picture is so big. I am used to fine dot pitch PC monitors, so I understand that the image on a big TV will not be perfect.

Is there anything I should know about fine-tuning the TV output quality of my setup? DVD max etc? Is there a way to change the resolutions for the NTSC output? Higher or lower? I just want to fine-tune for the best results.

thanks for any info

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 21 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 21 February 2001).]

Those are the scan lines (or gaps between the scan lines) that I referred to before in the other thread. You can either drive your display at higher resolutions (again, not NTSC/PAL) or use a line doubler.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yes, I kinda realized that they were the gaps between the scan lines. The reason I asked was you don't always see them.

I realize there are resolutions that are unavailable to use in TV out because it is NTSC, but when you enable DVD-max dual-head, I recall it having a setting for resolution.

What resolutions are available to use for NTSC output when using DVD max? Is it pretty much preset? Is a "line-doubler" not compatable with NTSC?

Comment

No resolution options for NTSC. See the other thread for NTSC metrics. I think you're thinking of the secondary monitor resolutions. Yes, line doublers may be used with NTSC; that's their main target application. Many larger TVs have doublers built in. Farudja (think that's the right spelling) pioneered this area and is considered among the best. His patent has expired now so their are many similar competitive products.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You could always buy this cheesy scan doubler!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

<snicker>

Comment

Fair enough. I'll check it out. I imagine Line-doublers are expensive. I am not afraid to pay good money for something worthwhile, but if its ridiculously expensive, then I may as well get a 480p/1080i HDTV eh? Anyways, as it is, its pretty decent. I might just be sitting a little too close to the TV right now as it has not been permanently positioned in my room. Thankfully my room is quite large! I must switch stuff around though.

I watched "Runaway Train" last night on DVD. Nice movie. I have always liked it. Its a simple, yet very powerful movie. So far I have yet to see a single frame drop, jitter, noise of any kind on TV out. Its like a VCR without any glitches. While watching Gladiator I thought I saw a screw-up, and so I watched the remainder of the film very closely and not one error or any distortion of any kind. Same thing with Runaway Train. I swear I thought i saw a frame with some noise and it turned out to be something in motion wizzing through the frame as i turned to look away from the set. The movie playback was otherwise flawless. Highly recommend seeing that movie.

Comment

Those aren't gaps.. they ARE the scan lines. The way NTSC works is that the odd numbered lines of information are completely drawn across your screen, then the even lines are drawn. There are no GAPS per se. What you see as gaps are the lines not currently being drawn, as they fade from view. Your set is NTSC and only NTSC. Stop trying to tweak it. You might as well be tweaking a toaster. It won't do progressive scan and it won't accept a scan doubler. The kind of image you want cannot be had for $600.00. Don't bother trying. On the other hand, you got a very good TV set for the money you spent. Dollar for dollar, JVC is about the best square (4:3) TV you can buy.

You have another problem, as does everyone who views DVDs on the old-fashioned square TVs does. Most of the best DVDs are "enhanced for 16:9 televisions." This means 16:9 is their native mode. If you view any of these discs on a square TV, they must be downconverted to the 4:3 format. That is, their naturally anamorphic state as rendered on the disc is rearranged in the DVD player with a chip, so the image on your TV is properly proportioned. You see it as a normal letterboxed image. The problem with this is that there are artifacts always present. They might be smoother and less pronouced with a better D/A chip, but then you'd have to spend more on your DVD player or hardware. I don't know about the G400's capabilities here.

In short, forget it bud. Be happy with what you got, or put up about $2200 for a Sony 32" KV32-XBR400, which is the very least expensive set you can get with the kind of picture features you want. Better yet, go for a 46" Mitsubishi WS-46807 widescreen rear projection television. It is guaranteed to work with whatever HD format becomes available, it's bigger, has a built in scan doubler (scan lines disappear because they are drawn twice as fast), and is a true 16:9 set. You can get one for just under $3000.00.

------------------
                Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Not sure if a doubler will work with your set ... I'll have to confer on that. My opinion is it isn't worth spending a lot on a new large TV unless it can handle 720p and 1080i HDTV. There's a whole can of worms that you open up with that concerning burn-in on 16x9 sets watching SDTV 4x3 broadcasts. There's also the expense of buying equipment (OTA PC decoder card, set-top box w/ little sat dish, or BUD w/ digital IRD and HDTV decoder) to receive the broadcasts. Connectivity issues are still being worked out because of concerns over hi-quality digital transfers of films. Not a good time to spend a lot on TVs, but HDTV is happening and the old TV standards are slowly being replaced. You're better off repairing your old large TVs (I did this last year w/ my RPTV) or spending less on smaller TVs.

Comment

He spent $600?! I agree, call it good for now and scrap it in a couple years.

Comment

You've got to wonder what JVC had in mind building an 800 line resolution set. I didn't see any of their products that would drive that set at 800 lines.

Comment

I'm gonna watch lots of DVD's on this set and see how it goes. If I'm not happy within the next 30 days, I could upgrade to a better TV I suppose, but I'll likely be sticking with this set. I don't think I can afford anything else. I spent $999.00 Canadian before TAX on the set. You can get 32" TV's for as low as $800.00 before tax, but I doubt they're as good as this one.

I guess seeing "800 lines" of resolution as a spec, it seemed higher than I had heard or seen for any other regular TV. The 800 lines is probably a spec of the electronics like the video amp, but NTSC is NTSC. As it is, its better than I've seen in video tape on other TV's, so that's ok. Even video tape looks good on this set. I've yet to hook up cable and fine tune the colour.

If the Sony KV32-XBR400 is a 16:4 set with 720p and 1080i then that's quite impressive.

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 22 February 2001).]

Comment

16:4??? Oops!
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

DOH!

16:9!

Heh heh.

Check out these TV/Monitors at the bottom of this link:

http://www.ttxmonitor.com/products.htm

Kinda interesting. Only thing is, they are 1.33:1 and not 16:9. Still .74 dot pitch and 1024 x 768 would be frickin sharp, that's for sure. Need a set-top for NTSC broadcasts.

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 23 February 2001).]

Comment

ccoltas, you willing to spend $1500 USD? I was told of a 36" RCA 4x3 that will do what you want (HDTV, dual VGA and component inputs), $1900 for a version with a built-in line doubler.

Comment

Working...
                              X