Is it True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it True?

I use Win98 so I have no idea if this is true.

I have read over at at another site that in Win2000 you are unable to have different resoulutions on your dualhead setup.

Is this complete crap as I suspect or is it for some strange reason true.

I am planning on switching to 2000 as I think I need it now but as I have a large and a small monitor this simple problem would stop me.

Please say that it is not true

------------------
    PIII450@504, G400 32MB DH, 384MB PC100, BX2000 MOBO.

[This message has been edited by dbdg (edited 22 February 2001).]

Because of a limitation in WindowsNT/2000 this is true with all single-chip, dual-output cards. Both monitors need to run at the same resolution. Matrox continues to search for a way around this OS limitation...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Do you think that they will find one.

This is a major bummer and I have no choice until I upgrade my monitor to not go to Win 2000 now.

Cheers. I am glad that I found this out before I purchased win 2000

[This message has been edited by dbdg (edited 22 February 2001).]

Comment

Cool.

I wait with anticipation for the news of when then manage to solve this problem.

Comment

I wait with anticipation.

Cheers. I hope they do manage it.

Comment

Ignore double post pc disconnetced.

I hate dialup.

Comment

dbdg,

after using it for a while i've gotten totallly use to it, win2k is the only os on my system now and i don't miss the dual head features of win9x at all.

try it...you might like it!

cc

Comment

"Do you think that they will find one."

I think if anyone can, the folks at Matrox can...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I think if anyone can, the folks at Matrox can...</font>
                  What, in time for XP's release?

On a related note, under Win98SE I ran my G400 MAX's secondary display at 1280x1024x32bit @ 75hz refresh, 15 hz over rated max. Do you think it's realistic to expect this to be possible in the future in W2K? Right now, I'm stuck with a Millennium II to drive my secondary display.

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 22 February 2001).]
                  The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                  The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                  The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Ive been thinking about this over the last couple of days, and think I have a possible way around it.

Most motherboards BIOS let you reserve IRQs for legacy devices for each PCI slot. Now, if you set say PCI slot 1 as legacy, and set its IRQ to something, say IRQ12 (if using a USB mouse), then Matrox made a driver for Win2000 that said there was a device there that was a video card, but in reality just wrapped all calls to the dualhead part of the G400-G450. This would leave WIN2000 thinking there were 2 video cards, and would therefor let you change resolutions independantly.

I know this wouldnt suit most people, and would be a support nightmare for Matrox, but they could put up a utility that specifically states that it isnt supported.

Then again, that might all be a stupid idea but it might give someone over at Matrox a lead to follow.

Ali

Comment

because they're somehow able to zoom a part of the display to a different res. already (when the tv is used as secondary output device) they might be able to use the same technique to change the res. for the second monitor? That way you still have one desktop (and size), but you will be able to scale the part covered by the second head to a custom resolution?

anyway, if they're working on a fix, then they have obviously already found something, and these ideas are not necessary any more

Comment

I got the FIX for you guys :

A $1 PCI graphics card, most of you have one lying in the closet anyway so why dont you plug it in ? =)

And WOW, different resolutions with 2 monitors + you can use the DH output plugged in the TV all the time.

Thats the way i used my G400MAX before i sold my old monitor ( and most of my computer away and did a FREE upgrade =)

Pete

Comment

The only benifit of two graphics cards as opposed to one would possibly be the fact that you can have two 32MB cards.
                          I think I will still wait for a fix and when the time comes buy a 64mb card such as the G800?
                          I very rarely play games and 3DSMax likes a lot of memory.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dbdg (edited 23 February 2001).]

Comment

I only raised this topic here 5 days ago and hey they have come up with a fix. I know they have obviously been trying a lot longer then I have been concerned but it has to be said.

Well Done Big M.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X