No announcement yet.

Matrox buys eDRAM Technologie form Bitboys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow... it look like it even has dualhead...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by rubank:
      Yes Ashley, it looks that way, but,alas, no dual-head. It´s a 3D card only, so you have to connect it to your standard 2D card, like the Voodoo 1&2, hence the dual contacts. One in, one out.

Matrox M3D was smarter (in this respect), it communicated directly through the PCI slot.

rubank
      </font>
      I was just about correct that one. yes, indeed. this sample is TR25202 which is meant for addon boards. this sample does not have geometry processor. (TR25203 had that.)

later Tritech showed also TR25205, which is TR25202 with VGA included.

and what comes to m3D, it had PowerVR chip inside, so I really don't count it as real Matrox card.

m3D was huge PCI bandwidth eater. it had it own pluses but also minuses.

neither Pyramid3D was perfect card. it's memory bandwidth was limited because it didn't have own texture and screen buffer memory. (like m3D and 3Dfx had.)

but still, it was first chip to support memory up to 64 MB

EDIT: mixing up chips and cards...

[This message has been edited by Nappe1 (edited 02 April 2001).]
      "Dippadai"

Comment

Yes Ashley, it looks that way, but,alas, no dual-head. It´s a 3D card only, so you have to connect it to your standard 2D card, like the Voodoo 1&2, hence the dual contacts. One in, one out.

Matrox M3D was smarter (in this respect), it communicated directly through the PCI slot.

rubank

Comment

Hi Wombat, point well taken BitBoys did come up with EMBM.

Nappe1, you are correct I did not read your link. I admit to being wrong about BitBoys "releasing" a video card.

My point here is that BitBoys are the laughing stock of the high tech industry, they pump out a lot of press releases but I've never seen and you admitted yourself that no card of theirs has made it to mass production.

My point regarding Matrox not being able to figure out how to release their next card still stands. I'd be only too happy to admit to being wrong about that, but the fact that there is no next generation part speaks for itself.

------------------
          Nothing sadder than seeing a beautiful theory getting slammed by an ugly fact!

[This message has been edited by Unam (edited 03 April 2001).]

Comment

Is this thread going to be one of the marathon length speculations forum?

I guess we shall just wait and see.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Unam:
              Hi Wombat, point well taken BitBoys did come up with EMBM.
              </font>
              yep. wombat, very good indeed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
              Nappe1, you are correct I did not read your link. I admit to being wrong about BitBoys "releasing" a video card.
              </font>
              hey, it is nice to see that there is still people who can admit that they make mistakes. and as said: "error is human"

My point here is that BitBoys are the laughing stock of the high tech industry, they pump out a lot of press releases but I've never seen and you admitted yourself that no card of theirs has made it to mass production.
              </font>
              I understand very well what you mean. In Finland only rares still believe that Bitboys can make chip. ( I count myself to that group. Since january what has happened to me, my "feelings" have become stronger. And I can only say that I have my sources... )

why Pyramid3D didn't made to Massproduction? you can read answer to that from that www.Beyond3D.com 's thread which link I posted previously. (my post in the second page.)

Also as you may have been noticed, Bitboys has been quiet (no press releases) since last summer. also now when they moved to use 1024 bit Internal memory bus (from 512 bit.) they didn't make it with press release but just quietly updated their web pages.

Time will show, if they started to be quiet too late...

My point regarding Matrox not being able to figure out how to release their next card still stands. I'd be only too happy to admit to being wrong about that, but the fact that there is no next generation part speaks for itself.
              </font>
              because of my sources, I still think this Matrox -> Bitboys co-operation is foolsday joke. So don't worry, I don't think that we will see card with XBA from Matrox in the near future...

[This message has been edited by Nappe1 (edited 03 April 2001).]
              "Dippadai"

Comment

So, it was a Foolsday joke.

read it from www.planetmatrox.de

There is something interesting too, so check it out.
                "Dippadai"

Comment

Great joke, I'm not too worried about BitBoys and Matrox cooperating on anything unless they start to compare notes on how not to release a next generation part!

------------------

Comment

Hey Nappe1, I was the first one to mention that Matrox bought EMBM from Bitboys, not Wombat!

Just getting jelous

Ali

Comment

Still though, be warned that your nightmare (read this joke) could be also a reality.

Now, some pure speculation, based on infos which has been come "thru" since Bitboys haven't announced anything considering their chip since last autumn when they said that Glaze3D name was gone. (if someone doesn't like rumors, please shut your eyes now. )

Noone here believes that Bitboys will get it ever on silicon, but I can say that it is before next x-mas or then it is never...

at fisrt time in history of "Glaze3D -project", I have heard big website masters saying that "they are NOT Vaporware, and they really are up to something, but because of NDA, I cannot comment more...", so there is reason to believe that they have made something on silicon already, and I don't mean that Pyramid3D chip. (everyone really should read that thread in beyond3D.com there is huge amount of very interesting material.)

still I haven't saw any information who is going to be their OEM's (board manufacturers) so that means that Matrox isn't out of the question. There is still possibility that Matrox has come across with some kind of compromise for solving this problem how to release new gamers card even though they don't have enough fast tech for it. I think they solved this kind of problem once before and it was called m3D. Basically m3D was almost identical to PoverVR's card with PCX2. (main diffrence was Matrox logos and drivers.)

so I think it is possible that Matrox has bought exlusively that Bitboys chip. it makes it even more visible that in year ago, Bitboys stopped to talk about Matrox as competitor and only named ATI, nVidia & 3Dfx. Before that, they said in every interview that Matrox was one of the main rivals.

as I said before, who lives, will see...
                      "Dippadai"

Comment

So you don't think that Matrox can come up with killer-hardware themselves?

What about the G400 when it was launched? What makes you think they can't pull it off again?

Comment

If you only knew what you obviously don't know

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
                            If you only knew what you obviously don't know

Dr. Mordrid
                            </font>
                            if you mean that it was FOOLSDAY joke, we know that, but how about thinking that "joke" would come true?

Scary... eh?

btw, either Matrox nor Bitboys have say nothing about their upcoming chips since last summer. (and Matrox has been quiet even further.)

"Dippadai"

Comment

dZeus, don't try split my mind...

I didn't mean that Matrox cannot come up with Killer hardware themselves, (they have been quiet almost 2 years now, so you can only imagine what they have been developing.) but if the rumors about scrapping G800 -project and losing of engineers to NVIDIOT is true, then it looks like very challenging that they could bring up something totally different than G800 such a short time. ( http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/010526.html )

anyway, I am ready to go for Matrox as soon as they have something better to offer than I am using right now, but if Matrox and Bitboys are co-operating, it will make my choice between Matrox new card and cards based on Bitboys XBA chip a much easier.

dZeus, and I think you would love to see that 22.4 GB/s mem. bandwidth on Matrox card do you? or maybe that Dual chip version with 44.8 GB/s

hmmh... and that's efficiently bandthwidth. (which GeForce 3 has <7.2GB/s) so that would be killer card INDEED

[This message has been edited by Nappe1 (edited 05 April 2001).]
                              "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
                              X