No announcement yet.

Bad news from Anandtech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm....Notice the Beta Boys haven't come out with there usual, "Anand doesn't know anything, he is biased and has no clue what he is talking about" statements. I guess I'll have my Radeon longer than expected. Anand's oringinal statement is what prompted me to buy the Radeon in the first place. What? no more "soon" messages either? I'm shocked I know, I know, I'm being kind of an ass. I apologize, I'm just having fun

Dave

------------------
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

depends on how you compare soon to near future

Comment

I sold my G400 a few months back and bought the ATi Radeon 64 DDR Vivo. I have not regretted it at all! It is equal to the Matrox cards in 2D quality, without question. I run at 1600x1200x32 all day long and there is absolutely no difference in quality between Matrox and ATi. Period. Like it or lump it, them's the facts.

But when it comes to gaming, well, there is no comparison. The ATi is up to date and the G400 is an antique.

Matrox has finally confessed they are not concerned with gamers any longer, so it is time to wake up and go ATi

Comment

ATI has to prove that they will release consistent driver updates that improve performance and/or stability before I buy one. (Even after a newer product comes out)The news that they screwed over the Rage MAXX consumers didn't fare well in my book.

Not to mention they have to get rid of that ugly-ass red menu system for their drivers. I like the conservative blue Matrox menu.

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 22 April 2001).]

Comment

isochar dude!

That is so lame--"I don't like their red tinted menus!"

Actually, ATi are bring out so darned many driver updates it is getting difficult to manage them. I'm running my rig under windows 2000 and it is rock solid. Game play posts big time frame rates and graphics that are just as purdy as my Matrox was.

The ATi driver issue is a thing of the past now. Don't let it stop you.

Comment

Yeah, they may be pumping out drivers faster, but they still suck so far for what I do.

Rags

Comment

OK folks, be specific. Win98/ME drivers are rock solid. Win2k dirvers still need work.

Dave

------------------
                What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

And I'm talking aobut ATI drivers.

Comment

Win9x means bunk to me. Win9x is old news and old technology. The future is the win2k core, so if it isn't up to par in win2k, which it isn't, it's not worth it to me. You already know my position on that.

Rags

Comment

I'm lame for thinking that the ATI logo with red everywhere is hideous? Yet, there are people who tweak their entire desktop to make it look a certain way... and I'm one of them.

IMHO, my desktop looks pretty sweet, very easy on the eyes... I don't want to throw some ugly ass red menus into the mix.

As for the other comments...
                      I'm running WinXP right now, which is a bit more sensitive to drivers than Win2k. (Since most of them aren't written with WinXP in mind) Judging from the experiences that people have had with Win2k, I'm going to avoid ATI in my WinXP machine for quite some time.

Comment

isochar,

I run W2k and my ATi drivers work perfectly. So the whole driver rap against ATi, which was valid last year, is a thing of the past now.

Nevertheless, if you won't listen to people who are actually using the gear, then why do you haunt the newsgroup?

Just to hear your false impressions re-enforced?

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I run W2k and my ATi drivers work perfectly. So the whole driver rap against ATi, which was valid last year, is a thing of the past now. </font>
                          Not so fast, they still have some serious issues with their win2k drivers, the most serious being SMP, and memory leak problems. I have come across a total of 21 separate 'bugs' in the short time I have had the displeasure of using my Radeon, every one of them reproduced by ATI tech support, and promised to be fixed. That was over 2 months ago, and several beta releases later NONE are still fixed, but hey, at least they fixed some slowdowns in games. That really helps

Rags

Comment

lol, Come on Rags, dont you want wn2k for gaming? Win98SE rules!

Dave

Comment

Win98 rules except for the fact that I NEED something other than the 9x kernel. I cannot do some of my work without it. And it just so happens that the Radeon flunks these tasks horribly. ATI really needs to get on the ball with their win2k support, and they need to do start moving soon, otherwise they are going to be in for a rough ride.

Rags

Comment

rags,

I feel for you. Symetric Multi-processor systems are a royal pain to set up, from what I can gather. But there is a rap against almost every manufacturer when it comes to this. I've heard more pwople howl about their Creative Soundblaster Live! cards than I can shake a stick at.

But what percentage of the population of PC owners do people like you with SMP systems represent? Maybe .001% of all PCs in existence?

Does it make sense to rake ATi over the coals when for more than 99% of the population their cards and drivers work well?

Theree is a very good site called 2CPU that might be able to help you. Here is their URL:http://2cpu.com/index.html#newsitem953137790,27814

Hope you find some help mate

Comment

Working...
                                X