How much difference between AGP2x/4x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much difference between AGP2x/4x?

I'm building a new system and have decided on a G400 32MB + RR for the video.

shopmatrox.com doesn't currently have and AGP4x 32MB G400s, so a couple of questions.

First, does anyone have any idea whatsoever how long it usually takes to get more in stock (I realize the G400 is discontinued, so any items that become available will be refurbished).

Second, they do have some AGP2x ones in stock, so my question is how much difference does 2x vs. 4x make? Is it likely to be something I'd notice? Or is it only something that a benchmark would be able to tell apart?

(I'll be moving from a 200Mhz Pentium Pro w/4MB Diamond Stealth 3D to a 1.33Ghz Athlon with whatever G400 I end up getting, so we're already looking at a pretty sizeable improvement in things...)

Thanks,
    Scott

I do not think you will be able to tell the difference, perhaps in a benchmark of some sort but in real life no way. I wouldnt hesitate to get the agp2x version ( I have one myself )
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by scottnic:

Second, they do have some AGP2x ones in stock, so my question is how much difference does 2x vs. 4x make? Is it likely to be something I'd notice? Or is it only something that a benchmark would be able to tell apart?
      </font>
      I agree with Grego. Especially with a 32 megs board there's little need for AGP 4x over 2x. It's important to note, that even the 2x boards are compatible with 4x only systems. Matrox has been slammed massively for calling the first G400 boards "4x compatible" instead of "never uses 4x mode".

However, Voodoo5 owners who were upgrading to P4 systems had to learn the hard way, that these two statments are not equal ...
      (Voodoo5 cards are not compatible with recent P4 boards, as their AGP slots are physically coded 4x only, while the Voodoo5's connector is coded 2x only. 4x operation requirers 1.5 V AGP voltabe operation.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
      (I'll be moving from a 200Mhz Pentium Pro w/4MB Diamond Stealth 3D to a 1.33Ghz Athlon with whatever G400 I end up getting, so we're already looking at a pretty sizeable improvement in things...)
      </font>
      The Pentium Pro has been massively underrated due to it's mediocre performance in Win 3.x and 9x. But still ...

... I think you're gonna like what you get.

--E<:|

Comment

Working...
      X