Blorb sucks with the G400.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blorb sucks with the G400.

My G400 oc'd to over MAX speeds is currently cooled by the stock hs and my own pentium 40mm fan. The back of the card felt pretty warm to the touch even though the hs was cool to the touch.

So I boucht a blue orb to see if it'd cool any better. Immediately i noticed the base of the blorb was kinda small. The G400's core is larger than the blorb's case. So I thought "how can this thing cool the core if it's not even contacting with all of it.

I put it on, with some Artic Silver II. I booted up and started 3DMark 2K. I touched the back of the card, and it was SCORCHING hot. So I shut down immediately. I put the stock hs + 40mm fan back on.

I remember reading a post saying that a blorb cooled a G400 just fine... did I do something wrong?
    Primary system specs:
    Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Nope, Ive got one, they are shit!

Comment

I used one on my G450 but that didn't get as hot as the G400 did.

Most Orbs are worthless anyways.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I use a Tennmax lasagna on my G400MAX with no complaints!

Comment

Same here, Ayoub. I also make sure the back of the card has air blowing across it when o/cing for a few extra MHz.
          FT.

Comment

The bottom of the orb is not flat so you need to lap it to get it to make perfect contact with the core! The bottom of the orb is shaped like this: ^ so only ~50% of the surfance is making contact with the chip at default!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Is that even with Arctic Silver Guru? No!

Not all sold have a concave base, even it it was perfectly flat, it still doesn't come in contact with the enitre surface of the chip and the bottom line is... all gorbs suck!

But Paully they make sure do make cute candle holders!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                Is that even with Arctic Silver Guru? No!
                Yest that is even with Articsilver!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I know the orbs sucks, but this blorb shouldn't suck as much as it's sucking. The G400 doesn't put out a paticularly large amount of heat compared to other video cores (1st Geforce for example).

I think it has more to do with the G400's larger core. It's based on a .25 nm die, so it should be bigger than the .18 Radeon and GF2. If the blorb's base isn't touching all of the G400's heatspreader, than it can't do a very good job.

I'll save the blrob for when I get a next vid card... prolly the next gen Radeon.
                  Primary system specs:
                  Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Guess you weren't using enough A R C T I C sliver HS compound then were ya?
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

They do make nice candle holders

Paul
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

yeh they are a bit crap!

i had to lapp mine and it took some doing too
                        it was not flat at all!

then with a nice layer of artic silver i put it on my (useless cr*p geforce) and for two weeks it seemed ok!

then the card's 3d output died it gets very hot too!
                        iv'e since pulled the geforce out as it made my system VERY unstable and chucked in my faithfull g400 )

J

Comment

Working...
                        X