Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now G550 is out... Why don't you guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a lot of problems with my G550 although I don't think it's fair to point the finger at it, I can't be sure what the problem has been. I seem to be over the problems now so am I able to do some reliable testing.

Quake 3 ver 1.29, demo four.dm_66, Windows 98 SE, beta driver 6.70. Run at 1024x768. Vsync disabled.

Setting MAX G550
    High 32.6 30.3
    Fast 54.9 52.3
    Normal 52.8 49.5

I'll try a little G550 overclocking if I get chance before I fly off on me hols.

Comment

Well I've just ordered one since I'm now getting a twitch for dual head. To be honest i don't game much these days.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by EvilDonnyboy

I wonder what you did differently.
        The clue lies in the resolution/bit depth that the tests are made. The G550 is a bit faster than a Max in low-res/16Bits in those online reviews as well.
        In >=1024x768x32 however most of those modern games are gfx-memory bandwidth limited and since the G550 has a lower bandwidth than the G400Max, it WILL be slower in those cases.
        It's such a pity that Matrox didn't include at least a decent RAM interface this time - the card could've got MX alike scores.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

@Indiana... if you only knew
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe: @Indiana... if you only knew
            That is so cruel

-wxdude

Comment

hehe, we could know if you'd tell us

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hopefully he means that drivers will increase the performance
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

So, Greebe,

I know you cannot say anything specific regarding your comment. We all understand that you would never violate your confidence with M. Nor would we expect you to.

But on a personal level, I was just curious. To a desktop user who craves a little game every once in a while, would you recommend the G550 as a graphics solution?

Thanks,
                  Charles
                  System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Running a G550 is like having a Max with better DH support. Shame it didn't achieve the speeds they were hoping for, but none the less can do it's job as an overall replacement for the G4x0 series.

AFAIK I too hope for better (faster) drivers.
                    Hopefully the next one down the pipe will put them back at the top, like the Max did when it debuted
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hi guys,

OCing with PowerStrip, my clocks went from default 133/166 (333DDR) up to 144/180(360) without a hickup ...

on top of that, I was able to run a series of Wintune's 2D benchmarks at amazing 168/210(420) without a glitch, but as soon as I wanted to launch any 3D app, the system instantly froze ...

Of course I cannot tell whether those clock readouts are accurate, but nonetheless all my scores increased along with those clock settings and the readouts are constant on my system since PS3.01 build 185 and thus I presume they are correct.

Hopefully, I can find some time to finish my review ...
                      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                      LG BH10LS38
                      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...
                        This sentence always makes me smile, when I read postings from you, Maggi.

MK )
                        <font size="1">
                        Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                        ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                        Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                        2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                        256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                        Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                        ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                        Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                        Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                        Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                        HP Deskjet 959C
                        Plantronics LS1 Headset
                        all on W2k Professional SP2
                        </font>

Comment

As soon as I get my board stable I think I can see a bit of overclocking coming.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X