Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No display on soft restart

I've just upgraded my system to a Chaintech 7KJD mobo and Athlon 1.4GHz

Generally everything is fine - the G400 is perfoming admirably now I've something to push it a bit harder

However, the only remaining glitch that I have is that on a soft restart, the monitor reports no signal. The CDdrives & hdd spin up, but the system just sits there. This happens when choosing restart from Windows, doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del reboot, or even saving the settings in BIOS and restarting. The only things that gets the PC back is a hard reset using the reset switch ot shutdown & restart.

I've upgraded both the G400 bios and the award bios on the mobo.

I'm hitting the web to try to find a solution, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has seen this particular problem...

I'm not sure if it is the G400 - but I seem to remember a post about this quite a while back. I have searched the forum, but I can't find anything relevant

Regards,
    Graham

Athlon 1.4GHz
    Chaintech 7KJD mobo
    AMD 761/Via VT8231 dual chip AGPset
    256MB 2100 DDR
    133Mhz FSB (266 Internal)
    Windows 98SE
    Matrox G400DH 32MB
    BIOS 2.1-35
    Driver 6.51.012
    Iiyama Visionmaster 17" monitor
    Aprocot SVGA 14" Monitor

IRQ:
    00 System TImer
    01 Keyboard
    02 PIC
    04 Com1
    05 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ steering
    06 FDD
    07 LPT1
    08 System/Cos RTC
    09 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ steering
    10 Matrox G400
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ steering
    11 PCI modem enumerator
    11 Netgear Fast ethernet PCI adapter
    12 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ steering
    12 VIA Tech 3803 PCI yo USB host controller
    12 Creative SB Live
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Via Bus MAster IDE controller
    14 Primary IDE
    15 Via Bus MAster IDE controller
    15 Secondary IDE

What kind of power supply do you have in your system? Me, for instance, had a similar problem when upgrading my Duron 700 to an Athlon 1333 on my Asus A7V133. Changing the NoName 250W standard power supply to an Enermax 430W solved it for me. Also, some random crashes and system lockups were gone after that.

Cartman
    main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Can't remember the brand, but I bought a new case when I upgraded & the included PSU was approved for use with Athlons - main reason I upgraded the case in fact...

Comment

Maybe you should try the usual hard way of problem-solving:

Remove or unplug all components except mobo, vga, cpu, fans, ram, keyboard and power supply. If the problem persists swap your vga, cpu and ram...

It's also possible that your mobo doesn't like your sblive sharing the IRQ with the USB. I would check that first, my sblive caused a lot of trouble, although not sharing the IRQ, so I removed it and activated the onboard AC97 soundchip.

Have a nice evening

Cart
        main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Originally posted by MetalCartman
          Maybe you should try the usual hard way of problem-solving:
          I would, but everything else is OK - I had enough of a nightmare installing the mobo - the manual had wrong jumper setting info!
          Maybe when the honeymoon period is over (I'm enjoying playing with my new fast PC) I'll spend an evening

It's also possible that your mobo doesn't like your sblive sharing the IRQ with the USB. I would check that first, my sblive caused a lot of trouble, although not sharing the IRQ, so I removed it and activated the onboard AC97 soundchip.
          Hmm. Sounds reasonable. Although I do like my SBLive. Again I'll give it a go at a later date.

I'll post any results I get here, just in case someone else with the same problem comes looking

Comment

Are you overclocking at all? Or even running a 200MHz FSB part as a 266MHz FSB part?
            Does your BIOS have a different CPU voltage than the default for your processor?

I used to have your problem, but that was because I was overclocking my Duron. When you first boot (and this becomes more of a problem during soft reboots) your CPU runs at the multiplier and voltages that its jumpers indicate. If it can run like that for a few milliseconds or so, then the BIOS kicks in and you get the voltage & ratio that you set there.

My Duron wouldn't boot at it's default ratio @ 133MHz FSB. I penciled the jumpers, so now the part thinks it has a ratio of 7.5, and a default voltage of 1.85V ( This also lets my MB crank the voltage higher, kewl). No more lockups on soft reboot for me.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've not overclocked it at all yet. In fact, with it being a new install, I've kept everything bang on the line. FSB, core voltage etc are all as they should be.

I suppose I could try clocking back to 200FSB and see if it solves the problem....

Comment

there is a somewhat similar thread started by me. My G400 wont boot sometimes, with a no signal, and a long beep, 2 short beep post code. Just search for a topic with that in it. Or my name, I dont start too many topics. I have fired off an email to Matrox tech support about it. Best of luck, lets keep each other informed, if the probs are similar.
                AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X