Cheap G550's (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap G550's (UK)

Just a F.Y.I for you all - Scan have on their 'Today Only' page 32MB DH G550's for just £77 (+vat). I guess this'll last till the morning, then they'll be a bit more expensive.

seems a good special as it normally retails for £89.00+vat!

Comment

When you look closer its a rip off, they charge £10 for a delivery which makes total price of the card £102. Doesn't look so good now dosn't it.
      Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

True, but normally when I order from Scan's today only page, I just can't help buying other things (like £5 10/100 Network cards) and so the delivery is spread out. I also often try to get other people to buy too then it's cheaper that way.

But I do agree the delivery on a single item is a bit of a stinger.

Comment

Well, at shop Matrox the card is £89+vat.
          Then, shipping at £7.03 I'd say the Scan price is still better.

£102.22 all in @ Scan
          £111.60 all in @ Matrox

However your best bet is at dabs.com.
          With their free delivery you are looking at £96.35 all in, however they don't ahve any stock, Scan do.
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Hmm Dabs charge £96 inc VAT and no delivery charge, thats the cheapest i found, jungle.com , ebuyer, novatech, still don't have them, i think once all of the supliers will have them the price will fall a bit.
            Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

I got mine from Scan as they were the only poeple to have them at the time. Scan are alright as long as things work when they arrive. If they don't you can have a lot of trouble getting a refund I.E they'll hold onto your money until you post the court papers. Also note your not covered by your credit card either as you have not written proof that the company will refund against your credit card. I'm quoting Barclaycard over that.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

All I can say is this is overpriced! Forget RIPOFF BRITAIN. What about MATROX. You can get 64MB KYROII with tv out for £73 inc vat (delivery xtra) or 64 MB gts2 PRO with tv out for £102 inc vat delivered. I gave up on MATROX when they couldn't write decent opengl icd. Now they bait market with 1st gen T&L features. ha. ha. ha. Only 3 years late and with 64bit ddr memory interface. Even ATI have ramped up to the NVIDIA challenge. I have long given up on these has-beens! and like 3dfx if they don't catch-up quickly they'll be consigned to PC folklore.
                Last edited by overlord; 3 September 2001, 20:34.

Comment

Thank you for contributing overlord, now go away.
                  "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Originally posted by Kastuvas
                    Hmm Dabs charge £96 inc VAT and no delivery charge, thats the cheapest i found,
                    Cheapest isnt always best
                    My supervisor just spend 45 minutes on hold to Dabs, only to be told that if he didnt have the serial number of the USB card he bought, they couldnt help him. He'd have to email them the number then phone back anyway.

Dabs might be cheap. but I'm thinking twice about buying from them now.

<a href=http://www.microdirect.co.uk>Microdirect</a> are cheap, and I've had good customer service from them in the past. They do however charge for delivery.
                    <a href=http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk> The OverClocking store</a> aren't the cheapest around, but they do free 1-3 day delivery for all items. I ordered a 256mb Dimm and an HDD cooler with free delivery at 3pm, it turned up 10am next day. Dont get much better than that!
                    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

www.alternate.de 152.88€ and in stock at 15:22

Comment

Originally posted by CHHAS
                        Thank you for contributing overlord, now go away.

CHHAS,
                        In a country already being ripped off with overpriced goods this isn't what matrox users have been waiting for. A overpriced underperforming card that is stillborn @ birth. Any way it's my opinion and I'm going nowhere. I may just have registered to this forum but I'd bet you I have MATROX history as long as anyone here and I still won't forgive them for poor opengl support(MYSTIQUE,MILLENIUMII OWNER). Anyone interested in bargains in uk follow this link http://tracker.tradedoubler.com/trac...14638CC8059A06 and get a decent upgrade here http://www.gb.buy.com/stores/product...3&DeptId=22669
                        Last edited by overlord; 4 September 2001, 16:08.

Comment

The G550 has a target market.
                          Non of it's advertising has been to aim this card at the serious gamers market or those that demand very high-speed graphics.

The card is aimed squarely at the corporate sector.
                          It is aimed at those people who demand A1 image quality rather than those that demand 120fps in Quake2.

I feel the 'headcasting' is nothing more than a gimick, people use cams and video conference and talk to a real face, they don't want to be talking to some 3D generated head.

However, with the price at under £100 for a card that does offer the very best 2D quality available on the market the card can hadly be called a rip off.
                          You can't compare and say this ATI is cheaper, or this NVidia etc because no other card out there offers the same kind of image quality.

Am I buying one?
                          No, I demand mofe FPS and general graphics speed on my home PC, so at the moment a GF2 Ultra sits there.
                          Will I upgrade any of the current PC's at work?
                          No, the G400 & G450's are fine.
                          Will I consider the G550 in new PC's at work?
                          Certainly, it follows in the foot steps of the G4xx and I';m sure will perform even better than them, when I have VHDL people I need a Matrox card to attach to 21" monitors.

Would any serious gamer demanding FPS and 3DMark2001 scores higher than everyone else in his right mind consider one?
                          No, but again that isn't Matrox's target market.
                          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Originally posted by Paulr
                            The card is aimed squarely at the corporate sector.
                            It is aimed at those people who demand A1 image quality rather than those that demand 120fps in Quake2.
                            On that score they will be happy with what they've got. Like Pentium PIV, incremental changes do not bring new customers especially when compared with what they previously bought.

However, with the price at under £100 for a card that does offer the very best 2D quality available on the market the card can hadly be called a rip off.
                            You can't compare and say this ATI is cheaper, or this NVidia etc because no other card out there offers the same kind of image quality.

[/B]
                            In the reviews I saw of G550 this was slower than g400 part. I don't think corporate customers look @ 2d images in wonderment at the quality of it all. I work in IT for an INTERNATIONAL BANK, the machines we have all INTEL based a majority have ATI, some CIRRUS LOGIC and a few MATROX MILLENIUMS. Not many if any G400'S so why upgrade to G550?

Comment

It seems that its main saving grace over the G400 and G450 is its superior Dual head modes. Unfortunately everything I have read so far states that it has inferior image quality to the G400. If this is the case then Matrox has almost nothing to show for 12 months of work . To be honest I was very disapointed with dual head on the G400. It never really lived up to my expectations.

regards MD
                              Interests include:
                              Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Working...
                              X