Abit KT7A-R and G400 drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abit KT7A-R and G400 drivers

Hi guys, my G400 had been running very well on this mobo with a Tbird 1.0GHz. Recently I upgraded to a 1.4 GHz and according to Abit I need to flash the new Bios 3R to properly support this new CPU. Funny thing is only the drivers 5.33 work, other drivers (5.51, 5.52 and the new Beta) give BSOD during boot. Any1 has the same problem ? My OS is Win2KSP2.

Did you try the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers? those usually help alot.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

<B>NOOOOOOO</B>

Do not, ever, EVER install the Via 4-in-1's in W2KSP1 or SP2.

MS's provided drivers are much better than anything Via has put out for W2K yet.

Have you tried setting AGP1x in your BIOS?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmmm, never had any problems... and the AGP driver tends to acctually work for me, so i dunno what you are talking about...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I tried the 4-in-1 drivers without success. It seems like the new Bios has problem with the file g400dhd.dll (posted on the BSOD) which does not exist in 5.33 but in 5.51 and later.

Comment

There is another beta bios you can try. What Bios were running before out of interest?
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The previous Bios was YP01. It seems that the g400dhd file is for dual head. My G400 has this feature but I do not use it.

Comment

Installing the Via drivers was a mistake. You may never get your system quite right again. SP1 & 2 have better Via drivers (from MS) than Via can provide.

Get Gurm's attention, and ask if you can undo what you've done.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat, I can't blame the 4-in-1 drivers (although I'm not using it) since the 5.51 and later drivers worked with some other Bioses AND with 4-in-1 installed.

Comment

then uhh, how come the via drivers usually fix problems, and have acctually allowed my system to run at AGP 4x with enhanced stability, etc.

yeah, now XP doesn't need any extra ones.

Comment

Via drivers fix normally fix problems. Mmm don't think so they still can't zip drives to work properly after all these years and still have problems getting dma to work properly with devices such as DVDs and CDRW.
                      Even Via at one time recommended using the inbuilt Microsoft drivers because they were better than the ones they produce.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hi guys, found the problem. It's the memory !!! I had 2 sticks of Mushkin PC133 Infineon and a 256MB PC133 Kingston ValueRam. The 3R Bios probably changed the memory settings such that it was no longer OK with those memory sticks. I removed the Kingston and all is well now.

Comment

Working...
                        X