Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A remote Chanche to read G400MAX FAN rotational speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A remote Chanche to read G400MAX FAN rotational speed?

This is a Fact: the FAN on the g400MAx board is connected to the PCB with a three-pole connector cable.

This is a type of connection used to read the RPM:
    the signals are tipically:
    1) VCC
    2) FAN trigger (this signal is used to compute the RPM )
    3) Ground

Exist some HW documentation in order to know how to read eventually the FAN RPM, if it is possible from the G400 Chip ?

Can we all G400MAX users think in a future can be an utility to avoid any damage to our cards in case of FAN stop rotating? (a newer version of PowerStrip, for example.....)

Byez.
    <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
    <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

It's not possible to read from the chip.

The fan speed can be measured via blue wire (tach out) and the red wire (+5vdc)

Normal operating speed is 6K rpm.
    Last edited by Greebe; 17 October 2001, 18:35.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe.

You saw there aren't a way (other than making in home some hardware modifications) to read this signal. (Too much for normal users).

Right?

Thanks.
      <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
      <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

This topic was covered shortly after the G400's release (2 years ago) and the reason for not being able to read the the rpm via the chip is 1: I do not believe Matrox included the circuitry within the G400 chip and 2: lack of data specs on the G400 chip todo so.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Also some hardware revisions of G400MAX mounts 2 wires fan only (mine has 3 wires one )!
          Last edited by Venturer; 18 October 2001, 13:00.
          ATHLON XP 2600; Abit KX7-333Raid; 1GB SDRAM DDR PC-3200 Corsair XMS; Matrox Parhelia AGP 256; HITACHI 7K250 250GB; HITACHI 120GXP 120GB; HITACHI 120GXP 60GB; Sound Blaster Audigy 2; Plextor DVDRW PX-716A; Plextor CDRW Premium

Comment

Replaced the fan with something that has monitoring. Thats what I did.

Comment

Working...
            X