Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-200 and Directx 8 PROBLEM

Hi.
    I have a weird problem and write about it in this forum, but it's related with almost every forum here, so feel free to repost if you think that someone else could help me.

I have a Matrox MGA G-200 AGP, Win 98 SE and Sound Blaster PCI 128.
    A program asked me to install the directx 8 and, woe me, I did it.

Immediately the Matrox diagnostic told me there was a problem, related to the directx. It said that probably the directx I installed was old, and that some programs could be malfunctioning (error 22). Yet everything seemed to look and work fine.

After rebooting 3-4 times for other reasons (and always getting the same error warning), though, suddenly after a day the icons and fonts started looking fuzzy.

In particular I see a black-purplish shadow around the black or blue objects, icons and fonts (especially on the right), mostly on white or light backgrounds. It's as when you draw something with a pencil and then pass a finger over it from left to right. Very annoying if you have to read stuff, as in Word, or emails.
    The other objects and fonts look almost perfect, and on black or dark background the problem is almost nonexistent.

In Control panel/system everything looks ok. No conflicts, no problems.
    I tried to move the setting of the acceleration, but nothing changed.
    Running Dxdiag I saw that there were problems with the direct sound and direct 3d (after the 2nd test it freezed up the computer and had to reboot) but it gave me no hint on how to fix them.
    The monitor is pretty old and has no diagnostic program.

I went to the MS site and looked for newer Dx (since the matrox diagnostic said that they were old), found the 8.1 and installed them, to no avail. Found out that the only way to remove the directx is to format the HD, and was very dissappointed so started looking for alternative solutions.

I tried to reboot using a backup of the registry of the day before the dx were installed, but the dx were still there!

So I went to the Matrox site and looked for directx 8 problems, but found nothing related to my video device, so downloaded some newer drivers (the 623) and the newer PowerDesk. Now I have the 6.23.005 as driver and the 6.23.042 as PowerDesk.

I also looked for newer Creative drivers (since I also got error messages from dxdiag related to directsound and directmusic) but am unsure of the model of the sound card. Anyway, I upgraded something, but nothing changed.

Last, I found an utility to uninstall the directx, and run it. Now I have no directx installed (YEAH! Go to hell, you stupid program!), but the problem remains.
    I think I'll install the dx 7, that always worked fine, but doubt that it will solve the problem. I don't want to format, especially because of a problem like this! So I ask you all:

1) is there any known incompatibility of the G-200 AGP with dx8?
    2) any idea of the source of my problem, or the way to fix it?
    3) why do you think the problem showed its effects after a while and not immediately? Could it be that my monitor (Samtron SC-428PS) has been damaged? How could I find out for sure?
    4) after installing the new Matrox drivers the dxdiag told me that they weren't certified (the G200.drv in particular) and to look for Microsoft signed drivers. Why? They weren't a beta release... Could it be a problem too?
    5) With the new PowerDesk I am a bit lost. First I haven't the Matrox icon in the start/programs menu, and even in the QuickDesk I can't find the Matrox Diagonostic anywhere. How do I run it? I think it could help me finding out something more...
    6) I think that the dx messed with something else too. Minor stuff, but still annoying. I noticed that the description of the objects on the desktop is now white on a green square (as background) while before the problem, the background of the description was transparent and of the same color of the image I had chosen as background. Any idea on how to fix it? In screen/properties/look (I use Win98 in Italian, hope this is the way these things are called) I can set the color of the desktop, but how do I set it to transparent, so that it's the image I chose even in the icon description b-ground?

I know this isn't all Matrox-related, but please HELP a lady in distress!!!
    Thanks,

Xenarulz

Not related??

This makes me SOOOOO more relieved!
    But then, what could it be? What could possibly change the way fonts are displayed, so suddenly??
    I'm at a loss.

Comment

It sounds like part of your problem is that you installed a DirectX version that was newer than your drivers. You were probably using drivers that only knew how to handle DX7, and installing DX8 crippled the driver's ability to work.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

interesting thought Wombat but on a recent reformat I installed dx8.1 final before installing powerdesk 5.52 for win9x without seeing any such problems!

Comment

Then that was just your luck ayoub. There's unpredictable behaviour. Maaaybe something good, maaaybe something bad.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

xenarulz:

See my profile… no problems.

The usual cause of problems like yours is failing to completely uninstall your Matrox current driver version before installing the newer version.
            It can also be related to an out-of-date Matrox bios on your video card. Your bios number may be different from mine since I have a G200 Mystique AGP but running the latest bios updater will assure it is up to date.

What I would do:

Right click on open area of Desktop > Properties > Settings >Advanced > Information > the second line from the bottom of the list should say Graphics BIOS 3.3 –34. If not, your Matrox bios card should be updated.

Go here:

then, choose Unified BIOS > I Agree… > download setup254.exe

While you are still on the BIOS files page, hit your browser’s Back Arrow twice to get to the Drivers page again and choose Utilities and patches > I Agree..> from Latest additions, download Powerdesk uninstall (pd_unin201.exe).

In case you no longer have the v6.23 drivers ready for a reinstall, hit the Back button twice and > Latest drivers >download v6.23.005 (w9x_623.exe)

Now, in case you no longer have a copy go here:

Download DirectX v8.1
            You may want to download the Italian version using the drop-down list. I use the English one (DX81eng.exe) Always use the latest version of DirectX.

In Windows Explorer:
            Go to where you downloaded the files, double click on setup254.exe and the files should be extracted to a C:\mgafold\setup254 folder.

In the download folder, double click on w9x_623.exe and the files should be extracted to a C:\mgafold\w9x\623 folder [skip this if you still have the files on your system]

In the download folder, double click on pd_unin201.exe and the files will be extracted to C:\mgafold\unin_201 folder.

Now, restart your system

Start >Run> browse to and run C:\mgafold\setup254\PbiosWin.exe
            Choose to update your bios and restart as prompted.

Next, go to where you downloaded DirectX v8.1 and double-click DX81eng.exe (or whatever file you downloaded) to install DX 8.1, restart as prompted.

At desktop:
            Start >Run> browse to and run C:\mgafold\unin_201\PDUNINST.EXE
            When your system reboots you should be at the Standard VGA desktop.

If prompted by a wizard, browse to C:\mgafold\w9x\623\Setup.exe or if not prompted, use the Start > Run path to get there and run the driver installer.

If still no joy after all of the above, here are a few other things to look into.

Sound card drivers.

You should find yours here:
            Shop online at creative.com for wireless speakers and computer soundbars, Bluetooth headphones, Sound Blaster sound cards, gaming headsets. Free shipping on orders over $35.

If you don’t know the exact model #, look around in Device Manager’s Property sheets for your sound card. Run Sysinfo.exe and look in the Hardware info area. Use SiSoft Sandra http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/ to find it. You may have to open the computer and look directly on the card to see if the model # is printed on the PCB…sometimes it printed on a small label.

Try this. Restart and boot into Safe Mode >Device Manager >Look through all of your hardware devices (not System Devices) for redundant entries. If you find any, remove all instances, Restart and let Windows redetect/reinstall.

If your motherboard uses a VIA chipset, go to http://www.via.com.tw
            And download/install the latest 4 in 1 drivers for your chipset version and O/S.

All I can think of right now.
            I always try to help a lady in distress J
            I’m no expert, just telling you what I would do and how I go about it.

Happy trails,
            WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
            1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Similar problems

Sorry if this seems a bit of a hijack but I had similar problems when I upgraded to Directx 8.1, which I am still trying to sort out (G400 MAX / Win 98). I have uninstalled the Matrox drivers and installed the latest beta version (6.82). I can now run dxdiag with the DirectX7 Direct3D test but the DirectX8 test gives an error (is this because the card simply can't support the DirectX test). Most things are now OK but the Pipes screensaver just garbles the screen and I have to reboot.

Anyway, good luck with your problem xenarulz

Kevin

Comment

DirectX8 test gives an error (is this because the card simply can't support the DirectX test).
                the card does support the dx8 & 8.1 test!
                what error are you getting?

Comment

DirectX update

The error is:

Direct3D test results: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

If I try and change my screensaver I can get complete screen corruption if I preview 3D pipes, which requires a reboot. As far as I know this has only happened since installing DirectX 8.1 - 8.0 was OK with the DirectDraw tests.

Kevin

Comment

Sorted!

With the help of the Web I have now sorted this out. It appears there is a bug in DirectX 8.1, where it tells you Direct3D is enabled but it isn't!

If you run dxdiag, then click on Disable for Direct 3D, you can find that it still says Enabled. If you reboot you will find that the DirectX8 tests now work OK. (You may need to try some iterations of rebooting and pressing the Enable/Disable button to sort this out).

Microsoft strike again!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X