Sometimes my PC freezes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes my PC freezes...

Hi all! Sometimes my PC freezes, and I have to do an hardware reset. So, what about Matrox? Well, I'm quite sure it's a Matrox-mobo related problem.
    I have a Matrox G400 MAX and an Asus P3B-F. I use either Win 98 SE and Windows 2000 Professional, and I've installed the latest MS certified drivers for either.
    I had the same identical problem with OSes: sometimes my pc freezes, very often when I click on "File" menu in Cool Edit Pro (or 2000, or Goldwave) and less often when I hit Ctrl-Enter in Flash 4. But the main problem is that sometimes, everything I do, my pc hangs.
    I've forced BusMastering OFF through Matrox Technical Support Tweak Utility: NO MORE LOCK UPS!

Can you point me in a right direction to solve my problem? It seems that my pc is really slower with this feature off! Even with MsHearts!!

Thanks, Fede.

PS Tell me exactly what kind of informations do you need, and how to obtain them, please.

Do you have a SB Live! in there as well? Are you running in ACPI mode? That's the more common reason for this kind of lockup. I've seen it regardless of video card.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

1) don't use M$ latest certified drivers... not that they are bad, but they are not the latest Matrox drivers out.

2) SBLive is know for ACPI issues

3) the G400Max has never had issues with this MB
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry (for me ;-) I don't have a SBLive nor I'm running in ACPI mode. I have a cheaper SB 128.

What about BusMastering? I think disabling/enabling it is the key of my problem, or not?

Thanks.

Comment

SB 128? Even worse.

Disabling bus mastering means that your video card doesn't get to use bandwidth that it needs. It will avoid your problem, but it isn't the culprit, and you're cutting your video performance in half.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

How about some complete system specs?

Rags

Comment

Ok, let's try:

PIII@500, Asus P3B-F (original bios), 128 Mb RAM, Matrox G400 MAX with latest certified driver for Windows 98&2000, HD Quantum Fireball LM 15, CD-ROM LG CRD8521B, CD-RW Memorex TwelveMaxx1032, Sound Blaster PCI 128 OEM, Philips 105MB.

Need more (maybe less :-) ?

Comment

OK lets try... update mb BIOS to latest... remove M$ certified driver for the G400 and install Matrox's latest (also update it's BIOS)... same would go for your SB128 drivers... if this doesn't work.. pull the SB128 and see if the problem remains
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The BIOS version you'd want to run on the P3B-F is v1006.
                  I'm quite reluctant to update a bios ...and 1006 bios version of my mb doesn't seem to solve my problems (or am I wrong?)
                  I just checked Windows Update yesterday, and the latest certified G400 driver for 98SE is v5.20.
                  My drivers are 6.22 in Win98 and 5.72 in Win2000...I download them by myself, I dislike Windows Update, never used it.
                  Is your G400MAX on IRQ10 or higher, and (for 98SE) not sharing the interrupt?
                  How do I check for irq, and if it's shared?
                  No PCI devices in Slot 1?
                  No.
                  Have you disabled video ROM shadowing?
                  Yes.
                  Set USWC?
                  What is it? How do I need to set?

Thanks, Fede.

Comment

I'm also having similar issues. Does the G400 have any issues with Direct X ?It seems to crash the system once the screensaver kicks in.

There is a Soundblaster Live in my system but no ACPI. I swapped the card out from a Nvidia GeForce 3 - the 2D quality of those cards were just giving me headaches.

Comment

Sorry for my delay in posting my IRQ settings...I haven't found them in Win 2000, so I had to switch to Win98. Here they are (sorry, italian as you see):

00 Timer di sistema
                      01 Tastiera standard
                      02 Controlle di interrupt programmabile (PIC)
                      03 Porta di comunicazione (COM2)
                      04 Porta di comunicazione (COM1)
                      05 Controller host universale Intel 82371AB/EB da PCI a USB
                      05 Gestore IRQ per PCI steering
                      06 Controller disco floppy standard
                      07 Porta stampante ECP (LPT1)
                      08 Orologio di sistema CMOS a tempo reale
                      10 Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128
                      10 Gestore IRQ per PCI Steering
                      11 Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead MAX - Italiano
                      11 Gestore IRQ per PCI Steering
                      12 WheelMouse1 (PS/2)
                      13 Coprocessore matematico
                      14 Controller IDE Bus Master Intel 82371AB/EB PCI
                      14 Controller primario IDE (FIFO doppia)
                      15 Controller IDE Bus Master Intel 82371AB/EB PCI
                      15 Controller secondario IDE (FIFO doppia)

To cking4@ford.com:

I've just done the changes you suggested in the BIOS, and yes, I've enabled 32 bit Z-buffer and AGP 2x Vsync OFF.

I will flash my BIOS, but I will wait some more suggestions

Comment

Your IRQs look fairly good. No conflicts or sharing, that should make this easier. I'd rather see the G400 on a lower IRQ than the sound card, but that's not a big deal just yet.

Also, someone else will have to help you sort out your IRQs for 2000. I don't have it and don't know how, but they may not necessarily be the same.

I don't mean to be annoying, but I don't want to waste any energy helping you until you update that BIOS. The P3B-F had more than its share of issues caused, fixed, and caused again by different BIOSes. The 1006 seems to be the BIOS that almost everyone thinks is best (search the General Hardware forum, I remember the P3B-F being a common topic).

Comment

Ok, I go flashing! I'll post again when I've found if my mb was the problem. Thanks all.
                          Bye, Fede.

Comment

Ok, I go flashing!
                            Careful. That'll get you arrested around here.

Comment

This is my list of irqs in Win2k. Strange (for me) it's quite different from win98 one, and my matrox shares its irq with pci128 soundcard. Don't know exactly, but from your helps seems that this is no good. How do I "split" them?

System Information report written at: 08/01/2002 14.40.52
                              [IRQs]

IRQ Number Device
                              9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
                              9 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead MAX
                              9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                              9 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
                              8 System CMOS/real time clock
                              13 Numeric data processor
                              6 Standard floppy disk controller
                              4 Communications Port (COM1)
                              3 Communications Port (COM2)
                              1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
                              12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
                              14 Primary IDE Channel
                              15 Secondary IDE Channel

Yesterday I flash my mb bios to 1006, but I still have the freeze problem I had before.

Comment

Working...
                              X