My G400Max is dead :~(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My G400Max is dead :~(

Woke up this morning, turned on the puter and get 3 beeps and no signal on the screen. Turned it off last nigh when the screen was all corrupt as you get sometimes, you all would have seen it at one stage or another. You know, lines going everywhere.

Is it totally Kuput? or can it be salvaged?

Now what? What do I replace it with :~(

Cheers Till

oh hey
    never say die
    3 beeps... hmmm, here's a link to help figure out what that means for your BIOS: Beep codes

First thing I'd do is re-seat your G400 in the AGP slot--had something like this happen once & it was just that the card had been bumped loose (whew).

---e
    Iwill KK266-R
    Athlon Tbird 1GHz AYHJAR oc'd to 1.5 GHz
    128 megs Corsair PC133
    Windows 98 SE
    Matrox G400 MAX DH 32mb
    -----------------------------------

Comment

If reseating the card doesn't help, Matrox has a recover utility for those times when the BIOS fails. It can be downloaded from MURC or Matrox's site. Just follow the instructions in the readme file.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

PX5:

3 beeps is usually video related

Kruzin:

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go, but it will not boot even boot, so can this still save it?

Tis a sad day here in the Tilsan clan today. Lest we forget. A good friend has passed away. do dodo do dodi do dodo :~(

Cheers Till

Comment

You will need to put in a PCI video card, along with the G400, and set the mobo BIOS to boot from the PCI. then you can recover the AGP cards BIOS.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I encountered that 3 beeps POST sound too when i was using a G200 AGP. I took the card out and inserted it back. It worked... so it must have slid off the AGP Slot, just like what PXR5 have said. Besides, matrox cards are rather reliable ... so just give it a try. Good luck!

Comment

Also, check to make sure the memory is inserted completely. A lot of boards with the award bios have the same error beeps for memory errors as video errors...
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Alas I tried everything, but nooooo go

Stuck a voodoo 5500 coupled with my old mill2 in, until they decide to bring out something new. I'm not impressed with talking heads at all, as I quoted once before, "I've got a wife for that "

Thanks guys Till

Comment

Sorry to hear it couldn't be fixed =(
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

R.M.A.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Just for information:

I had a G400 a couple of years back, and overclocked it.
                      It worked fine with a small fan attached to the heatsink for months.
                      It wouldn't accept a very high AGP bus clock (<73MHz) or overclock very well at all really.
                      Neither the memory or the core...

Then one day i went about some spring cleaning in my PC and took the fan off to clean it....
                      ...and forgot to put it back on.

The computer booted a few times, and i thought it had died immediatly, but the video came on in windows.
                      The card would not show any DOS screens up to the windows startup screen.

An hour or so later it would not come up with the Windows screens either....
                      Thats when the famous beeps came in and i noticed the lacking fan.

Needless to say i didn't repeat this with my new card...G550.

Just one thing that might interest tho, i got a voodoo banshee (diamond monster fusion) AGP to run stable on an AGP clock of 99MHz...(2/3 of 150MHz; Abit BE-6 Mobo rev.1 )
                      it was a bit warm (very hot) but stable.

Just to say that u shouldn't clock your cards unless they actually benefit from it.

Oh, and i preferred the G400 to the 550, i actually seemed to have a better image with it (when watching films.).
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

My G400DH died today. I tested it in a different PC to be sure it was not the motherboard.

I was about to order an replacement (my card was 15 months old) and searched for some info on the differences between the G450 and the G550. That's how I found this forum (I hadn't visited for months) and the instructions on how to fix a dead card. I used an old PCI card and the Windows flashing utility and it worked.

Thanks

Comment

Perhaps I did something wrong then?

I got an old pci card, my Mill2 and stuck that in, I then created the emergency bios disk and rebooted the system and set the bios to boot from agp. The erd could not find a card to repair.

Should I try it from within windows?

Till

Comment

Well here are my results at attempting to fix my G400. I thought it was my max at first but it turns out it was one of my vanilla G400's. I have two Max's and two Vanilla's

Read it for a laugh, I now have to figure out how to get it back to normal

Thanks all that helped out!!

Till

Comment

Good old Haig

Haig D. for president
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X