Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refresh Rate Fix?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    2Rags:
    in device manager (winXP)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by duke_srg
      2Rags:
      in device manager (winXP)
      I never said anything about device manager.

      When you set your refresh rates with powerdesk, you will get a series of dialog boxes. One of them will have the note and the exclamation. When you see that, you know that DX will revert to a default refresh if accessing the mode you just set.

      Rags

      Comment


      • #18
        Has that always been there becuase I've never noticed it?
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

        My Weather Page

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by The PIT
          Has that always been there becuase I've never noticed it?
          Do you run win2k/XP?


          If not, you will have never seen it.

          Have you experienced this problem in DX games even after using powerdesk to do mode customizations? If not, then you will have never seen it. If so, then you may have overlooked it.

          Rags

          Comment


          • #20
            I never seen it under 98 either and yes one time 98 did get stuck at 60hz for games for some unknown reason at one time.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

            My Weather Page

            Comment


            • #21
              2Rags: Îk, i'll see, i can't remember that exclamation. Anyway, how can i override that DX problem?

              2The PIT: Have you customized via powerdesk exact mode you're using? AFAIK problem with DX refresh only applies to W2k/XP
              Last edited by duke_srg; 29 May 2002, 23:53.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by duke_srg
                2Rags: Îk, i'll see, i can't remember that exclamation. Anyway, how can i override that DX problem?

                It's rather simple. First make sure you are using your monitor's driver provided by windows (NOT Default monitor or Plug and Play monitor). The only way to update it is to use device manager and use the update driver button, then choose to show all devices during the install and point to it yourself. Then you simply set your display modes using monitor settings in powerdesk. Make sure you set the modes you plan to use in gaming, each mode is separated by resolution combined with colordepth, you change either color depth or resolution and you are in a different mode.

                Rags

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by The PIT
                  I never seen it under 98 either and yes one time 98 did get stuck at 60hz for games for some unknown reason at one time.
                  I know you have never seen it under 98, because 98 uses a totally different means to set the refresh and use custom windows display modes than XP/2K, thus you have a bit different powerdesk than those who run XP/2K.

                  Rags

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Rags:
                    - my monitor was detected by XP (Viewsonic G771 displayed at monitor TAB)
                    - display modes, used in DX games have been customized

                    After that, any powerdesk customized mode disappears from selection in games (WC3b, DNMP, HoMM4).
                    If i switch desired mode to windows default - all ok!
                    If i customise mode during gameplay - all ok, customization works, but not all games allows to switch to desktop during gameplay =-\
                    BTW native Windows monitor .inf have lower retes than monitor can support, and default matrox monitor profiles too.
                    Maybe if i edit windows monitor .inf to exact values this problem will gone?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by duke_srg
                      Rags:
                      - my monitor was detected by XP (Viewsonic G771 displayed at monitor TAB)
                      - display modes, used in DX games have been customized

                      After that, any powerdesk customized mode disappears from selection in games (WC3b, DNMP, HoMM4).
                      If i switch desired mode to windows default - all ok!
                      If i customise mode during gameplay - all ok, customization works, but not all games allows to switch to desktop during gameplay =-\
                      BTW native Windows monitor .inf have lower retes than monitor can support, and default matrox monitor profiles too.
                      Maybe if i edit windows monitor .inf to exact values this problem will gone?
                      What refresh are you attempting to run?

                      EDIT: Oh, and the native .inf is not set prohibitively low usually, they just make the refresh cutoff a bit earlier than the absolute max.


                      Rags

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Rags:
                        ANY refresh. I'll try to customize the exact refresh that windows uses as default for desired mode. But it seems that DX can't set any customized mode!
                        For example i use 800x600@110 and 1280x1024@67 - that is a meximum supported by my monitor phisically (hsync 71kHz) and i can run desktop and OGL applications at that modes without a problems!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by duke_srg
                          Rags:
                          ANY refresh. I'll try to customize the exact refresh that windows uses as default for desired mode. But it seems that DX can't set any customized mode!
                          For example i use 800x600@110 and 1280x1024@67 - that is a meximum supported by my monitor phisically (hsync 71kHz) and i can run desktop and OGL applications at that modes without a problems!
                          Then you have a setup problem somewhere, and it's not in the Matrox drivers.

                          The monitor settings works fine across many others with DX fine.


                          Rags

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Rags:
                            Yes, it's not a matrox bug, it's DX&W2k bug...

                            Heh... Funny, but RefreshLock can' see customized modes too!!!
                            Last edited by duke_srg; 30 May 2002, 10:26.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Rags

                              I know you have never seen it under 98, because 98 uses a totally different means to set the refresh and use custom windows display modes than XP/2K, thus you have a bit different powerdesk than those who run XP/2K.

                              Rags
                              Ooops does help to read the post correctly.

                              I won't see that cos message under win2k partly becuase the monitor I displays better at 85hz and neither do I use win2k for gaming. Plus the other fact I'm using a ATI 8500 in my gaming machine and the g550 in my win2k server. I reckon I may see it when P is released though.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

                              My Weather Page

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X