BNC monitor cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNC monitor cable

Hi everyone, I'm planning to acquire a HD15 to 5 BNC cable for my Samsung SyncMaster 900NF with a G400DH.

Bettercables sells one but it costs an arm and leg!

I also found one from here,

Looks like a good deal considering the write-up,

Monitor cable HD15 male to 5BNC
    ferrite core
    triple-shielded
    molded

Is the one from bettercables really that superior to the cablemax or any other same cable for that matter? We all know how damn good Matrox 2D already is, so would this BNC cable further enhance the image quality or is this overkill? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

P.S.
    I tried using the search function but whenever I type the word "BNC" there, it says search word is too short! How would I search for worlds like BNC, CRT, DVI if it has a word count limit?

I have a generic BNC-VGA cable ($15).. trip shielded yadda yadda yadda... can see a slight difference @ 1600x1200 res but not lower on my Cornerstone 21" monitor.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

the search function

Biggs ... try using a wildcard character in your search, e.g. "BNC*".
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I got one for nothing from IIyama which I thought was very nice of them.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I use it for my monitor, but is it a big differance between D-sub & BNC??

Comment

Yes at very high resolutions... of course that also depends on how good the VGA cable is...
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I use one too, but only because my monitor came with one. It was useful in the old days with a G200 trough BNC, and the Voodoo2SLI through the D-Sub.

You had the 2D quality of the G200, and the 3D speed of the voodoos.

I think you will find that if you run your cables along the same path as your power cables, you might notice a difference. At high resoulutions, you should notice a difference.

If you only run at 1024X768 or under, I wouldnt think it would be worth it.

Ali

Comment

Hi Biggs!

I have the same monitor, and run it from a G450 using the D-Sub that came with the screen. It looks very nice at most resolutions, although I must say that 1280x1024 is the most comfortable to use - any higher and I think that the monitor itself rather than the cables is limiting you.

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I always think of it this way:

Monitor viewable = 18.1" or so, which is 460mm (or thereabouts).

Using the "3-4-5" right-angled triangle rule from skool (as the aspect ratio is helpfully 4:3), then we get the following dimensions:

Horizontal: 368mm
                Vertical: 276mm

Now divide these numbers by the resolution that you want - say 1600x1200 - you get 0.23mm for each.

Translate that to dot-pitch (this is the bit I am not sure about, as I don't know enough about monitor specifications and how they are reached), and you will see that you are about at the limit for the screen. And I think I was generous with the diagonal size too. I know this monitor is supposed to have a 0.21 vertical dot pitch, but that actually sounds not-quite-beleivable to me.

Hope this helps, even if it is a bit OT.

gnep
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

BNC again

Hi again, I'd just like to post a follow-up regarding BNC cables.

I know I would lose the PnP functionality in Windows but I was wondering what other negative effect(s) would it bring(like losing the ability to change refresh rates or something)?

Cheers!

Comment

I'm using a BNC cable since quite some time - had it with my 17" and now use it with my 22". And yes, you CAN see a difference between BNC and VGA at 1600x1200, but of course only if the BNC is of decent quality as well. Compairing a high-quality VGA cable against an el-cheapo crappy shielded BNC cable might not give the expected results

Losing DDC never was a problem here, change of refresh-rates should be no prblem if the driver don't suck (and even if they do, there's always PowerStrip or a hundred similar tools)
                    Last edited by Indiana; 9 May 2002, 08:35.
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Hi Indiana, could you recommend to me what "qualities" of a BNC cable should I look for. What I mean is that I've been to a local surplus shop here in my country and saw a coupla BNC cables with AWM, 80C, 30V, VW-1 written on the cable itself. I don't know if these are good "specs" since I have no idea what these mean.

I'm using a G400DH with a Samsung 900NF monitor at 1280 x 960 32-bit True Color in Windows 2000 Pro. Would you think my resolution is "qualified" enough for a BNC cable?

Many thanks.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm not technician enough to be able to tell anything about cable specs, I must rely on the vendor in this case.
                        At 1280x960 you probably will not see big differences between cables, but there's only one way to find out: try it before buying if you have the possibility to do so.
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                        X