Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all those that wanted to compare GF4 2D to Matrox 2D..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all those that wanted to compare GF4 2D to Matrox 2D..

I returned my VisionTek GF4Ti4600 today, because it wasn't up to handling the higher AGP speeds that I'm running with this MSI
    motherboard and unlocked Athlon XP 2100+. So I decided to return it and get what I originally intended- the Gainward XP/750 Golden Sample card, supposedly one of the best all around GF cards for 2D IQ, and still a honkin fast 3D card. While I wait for my new Gainward, I put the G400Max in this PC so I could at least play UT. The G400Max has had no problems with the bus speeds so far (and I've finally figured out my stable limits).

Anyhow, on to what my topic's about- the 2D quality. While I can't say for sure how good the 2D of the Gainward will be compared to this G400 yet, I can tell you right away that the VisionTek isn't close. The VisionTek had pretty good 2D, and I was actually impressed that it improved the quality over my old VT GF3, which had improved over prior nV-based cards I've used. I actually even would have said it was close to the G400Max (the GF4), if I wouldn't be sitting here with the G400 right now going OOH MAN looking at my desktop.

I sure hope the Gainward looks good, or else that Matrox announces the Parhelia soon, so I can return the Gainward (LOL). This 2D is almost as good for the soul as high res steady framerates in UT (the one reason I don't keep the G400 in the case longer- I had to drop resolution to 640x480 just to get anywhere near the steady framerates I had with both the GF3 and now the GF4 in UT at 1024 or higher, 32 bit color ).
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

The Gainward should come out okay. Just make sure that you go through their display setup stuff. My monitor settings are now completely different from what they were with my MAX, but it looks similar.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Wombat. I would probably be disappointed otherwise, after the direct comparison on the same monitor, heh.

(me goes back to tweaking and overclocking my Max to get UT at least steady )
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
      X