Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If they can answer this: Who here KNOWS something 'bout the new card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just for my clarification...

Originally posted by mmp121
    Who or what is a BBz?
    BetaBoiz = Beta Testers

Comment

A few specs have leaked this last week or so, I think they have been largely ignored mainly becuase of the site they appeared on and this G1000 rubbish that has spread far and wide.

Originally posted by xortam
      I'm surprised no one has leaked the specs yet. I'd think that with this many people having seen the technology or specs that somebody would have leaked by now. Matrox must have included some pretty scary language in their NDAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
        A few specs have leaked this last week or so, ...
        I guess I'm still waiting for the bombshell to drop that Matrox keeps alluding to ... "you'll all be very surprised."; features like RSN or such. Most of what I've seen has been the same as what many people have been speculating about for the last month or two. Perhaps you're seeing something that hasn't been commented on in the MURC.
        Last edited by xortam; 10 May 2002, 11:48.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I wonder if this card does the old infinite loop trick under XP.
          I hope Matrox are checking this out we don't want Via Arena filled up with people complaining about there new Matrox card.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

look for a few more leaks to happen in the next few days

Comment

Don't expect the drivers to be perfect when the come out. Beta testing is a great method of finding bugs, but variety of potential software and hardware configurations is too extensive to test all them before release. Fortunately, Matrox has strong history of supporting their customers in both helping diagnose and fix the problems that crop up after they release their products.

That's the critial difference. Everyone who releases complex software and/or hardware is going to have bugs. For those of you who have never studied software engineering, the dazzling array of potential combinations of hardware, software, and input means that you cannot possibly test every scenario. The law of diminishing returns comes into play. Developers only have so much time to test, therefore they have to maximize the usefulness of their time so they only test the most common variations. What seperates a good company from a bad one is how they deal with those problems that come to light after the product is released. Again, Matrox does a good job in this area.

Comment

Now we've got the kind of leak I was referring to Ant. Sooner or later, you're bound to see an unscrupulous organization spell their guts and tell all they now about the target of their NDA. Companies are very selective about who receives an early NDA and as the launch date approaches they start to sign up the press et.al. who are chomping at the bit to scoop their competitors. Its a gamble as to who gets these late NDAs and this kind of leak is inevitable. It doesn't make it right but its a fact of life. Matrox knew that the info would probably be leaked and all they can do is try to minimize the time before the official launch.
                Last edited by xortam; 11 May 2002, 20:45.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yep I knew it had to come, and sadly it is exactly the site I was expecting it from where it appeared.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Originally posted by ChronosZero
                    Don't expect the drivers to be perfect when the come out. Beta testing is a great method of finding bugs, but variety of potential software and hardware configurations is too extensive to test all them before release. Fortunately, Matrox has strong history of supporting their customers in both helping diagnose and fix the problems that crop up after they release their products.

That's the critial difference. Everyone who releases complex software and/or hardware is going to have bugs. For those of you who have never studied software engineering, the dazzling array of potential combinations of hardware, software, and input means that you cannot possibly test every scenario. The law of diminishing returns comes into play. Developers only have so much time to test, therefore they have to maximize the usefulness of their time so they only test the most common variations. What seperates a good company from a bad one is how they deal with those problems that come to light after the product is released. Again, Matrox does a good job in this area.

Comment

Yep. Not only do we have leaks running around, but slashdot ran a piece about it... *sigh* I know it's big news, but given how close we are to official information, why give so much attention to the unscrupulous rumor mongers?

(And thank you, blacklotus)

Comment

I want to make an addition to my previous "rant" about engineering and support. While Matrox generally has a good track record with fixing their technical problems, they failed when it came to early OpenGL support. I learned that lesson first hand with my G400 and a number of games. Granted, they weren't putting much weight into the gaming community at that time. If the Parhelia is destined for that segment, I can only hope that Matrox learned from their previous mistakes.

Comment

I want to make an addition to my previous "rant" about engineering and support. While Matrox generally has a good track record with fixing their technical problems, they failed when it came to early OpenGL support. I learned that lesson first hand with my G400 and a number of games. Granted, they weren't putting much weight into the gaming community at that time. If the Parhelia is destined for that segment, I can only hope that Matrox learned from their previous mistakes.
                          You'll find that things have changed in a good way as far as driver support and OpenGL go. Matrox has one of the BEST Cutomer Support Departments in the Hardware business nowadays. I know because I was one of their biggest critics in the G200 days.
                          That was until Haig made me putup or shutup.....LOL

Paul
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM

You'll find that things have changed in a good way as far as driver support and OpenGL go. Matrox has one of the BEST Cutomer Support Departments in the Hardware business nowadays. I know because I was one of their biggest critics in the G200 days.
                            That was until Haig made me putup or shutup.....LOL

Paul
                            I can almost see a Haig-shaped shade behind you that loooks like it's twisting your arm and making you say that...
                            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Sorry impacted, it's not that way at all. I have nothing but "Respect" for the man and what he has done for Customer/Technical Support.
                              Matrox is the example of what Customer Support should be in the Hardware Industry. Just try and get this kind of Support at any of the other Graphics Card Manufacturors or any Hardware Manufacturor. Very few really listen or put forth the effort that Haig does.

Paul
                              Last edited by ALBPM; 13 May 2002, 03:47.
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Haig has made a huge differance to Matrox tech support. Before he came along it was almost non exsistant to put a polite term of phrase on it.
                                I would say at the time of the G200 we were the tech support for Matrox pretty much like viahardware.com is the unoffical tech support for Via.
                                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                                X